does iron deficiency cause weight gain or make it difficult to lose weight?

I know that iron helps in weight gain. And the right amount of iron is required for the normal functioning of human being.

Hey guys. I am not sure to know the answer on this question but what I have a question for you, does iron deficiency make you cold? That is what's bothering me right now because my father seems to have it. Does anyone have some kind of advice or anything that might help? Should I go to see a doctor because I am not sure that he has this condition. I am not sure that iron deficiency could cause such a loss or gain of weight, and by that I mean in some measures bigger than 5 or 10 pounds.

a person with iron deficinecy may find it harder to put on weight but this is due to them being unhealthy and their bodies not working properly. Therefore iron can help with weight gain. Under no circumstances should iron be consciously avoided as it will not help you lose weight.

As a person who has had iron deficency almost all of my life I believe it has had a great influence on my weight gain and not be able to loss weight as easily as others. Think about some of the things that happen from this deficency such as fatigue and depression. What do people do when they have fatigue or depression - they eat more because the body is trying to find energy which in a normal person comes through oxygen from the red blood cells. I am always looking for a pick me up! I am now on iron and folic and have lost 25kgs

I really hope that's the case. I have put on ten kilo in eight months with no diet change. Just found out today that all the instantaneous lethargy and reactive behaviour is from deficiency. I hope the infusion next week helps me to get my energy back so i can get back to the gym and not crash by lunch time every day.

But will my iron infusion make me gain more weight ?

Thank you for that. I just had an argument with my mother about this. She wanted to know why I eat so much. I am not over, over weight but I am heavier than I should be healthwise. I told her that my body is looking for the iron that it needs so I eat more food. Sometimes I really crave steak. I think my body is trying to find the iron it needs. Unbeknownst to me while overseas a few years ago, I was eating an iron rich diet. I lost at least 50 + pounds. It was crazy because I ate lots but I lost weight. But when I came back to my own country, I ate what is here. Obviously, the diet I ate overseas was better for iron deficiency - soy beans, seaweed, fish, prunes, etc..... No wonder I lost so much, I was getting the proper iron my body needed to function. I am sure once my doctor gives me iron pills that I will see a difference in my weight and then I can tell mom 'I told you so!'.

My recent bloodwork revealed that all was normal except for being iron deficient - though I'm not remembering which test scale my lovely new doctor described - she said it could be a measurement between 10 and 300 and I was at 13. It explained quite a bit - difficulty concentrating, constant fatigue, no interest in exercise, thinking about food constantly whether hungry or not. I've been taking a supplement for about 3 weeks now, and am feeling better, I have better energy and can think better. Can even ride my bike up hills that I hadn't in a couple of years. I've also noticed that I'm far less preoccupied by eating, so between that and getting out more, have lost some weight already. Have to get my level checked again in a few months to see where things are at. It's risky to take iron without a doctor's advice, as accidentally taking in too much can cause damage over time. But if anyone's out there wondering about being deficient, do have a doc investigate!
Cheers,
M

Thank you for this information, im with you im very low in iron and find i cant l get my weight down. My loss of iron is from giving blood donations, which i cant do now .

Iron is a mineral that is needed in small quantities for your body to function properly. One of the most important roles of iron in the body is to make hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein found in red blood cells. If you do not get enough iron in your diet, you will develop an iron-deficiency anemia, which is marked by a lack of red blood cells due to an inability to make enough red blood cells to meet your needs.When you do not have enough iron in your body, you will develop a number of different symptoms. You may find that your appetite is decreased, which can lead to unexplained weight loss. Patients with an iron deficiency also may have a craving for unusual foods, also known as pica. Finally, an iron deficiency can make eating difficult, as you may develop sores around your mouth and have trouble swallowing. Use this forum http://forum.internationaldrugmart.com/anemia-f63/ to discuss more.

Ty for the reply. I am looking at my first infusion. I think I started gaining weight about the time my iron started dropping. Maybe it will help me also - been tired and run down lately.. so fingers crossed it works. Thanks again for your reply.

I have had a history of low iron for over 10 years.  It has always been low but low to the point where the doctor was happy to resolve with diet advice; plus my hesitation of iron tablets constipation!!  Over the last 6 months I have been unable to lose weight and run equivilent to a marathon each week and generally eat a good healthy diet.  I had become severely fatigued but recent bloods showed my iron was all time low.  I started taking the tablets a few days ago and feel better already.  I'm certain low iron and weight gain are connected - hope the scales tell me so soon too!

This sounds exactly like me. I run a similar amount and sometimes more each week, eat well but the weight won't budge. Haven't got a lot to lose admittedly but it's frustrating to be so active yet not be able to drop a few kilos. Have just started taking iron tablets again in the hope that I feel better in general and might possibly drop at least part of the stubborn 5kgs I gained a few years ago.

This may help some folks: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24770833