For the first time in my life, a couple of day ago I have heard about "pica eating disorder". Since a couple of days ago, I believed that there is only a term - eating disorder. Nothing else. 

To cut long story short, my very good friend told me that she was diagnosed with pica eating disorder. She tried to explain to me what this is, and I need to tell you that I haven't understand her very well.

But she knows that this can be very problematic.

Can you tell me more about this? Can you tell me treatment options for pica eating disorder?

Hi darling. I know very good what this disorder is. Pica is the persistent eating of substances such as dirt or paint that have no nutritional value. It can cause a lot of problems for a person. But she told you about this, which means that she wants to fight with it. She admitted that she is having a problem. There is no some home treatment about this issue. I suggest a very close medical monitoring, because it is necessary throughout treatment of the eating behavior. Additionally, close collaboration with a mental health team skilled in treating pica is ideal for optimal treatment of these complex cases. So she really needs to talk to her doctor about it, she needs to let him take a good care of her and to set a proper treatment for her.

Hi there,

This is one of the rarest disorders out there. I find it funny to be honest but it definitely ain't funny to the person who is suffering from it.

Yes, there are no particular treatment options which could help here. She needs some professional help, and like Guest said, she needs someone to mentor her progress. I don't know how bad can all of this be for her, but it definitely is bad. I don't know how easy it gets to fight this either. I really hope that she will get better, but I don't think that the odds for that are big...

Well, I assumed that this kind of disorder is very rare because, like I already told you I didn't know anything about this disorder and I have heard about it a couple of days ago. I have never heard about this before. I just want to know one more thing - do you even have a idea how this disorder is manifested, how this kind of disorder happens? 

And, how this kind of disorder is different than any other eating disorder?

Trust me, I really want to learn as much as I can about this but it is still a little bit complicated for me.  

Yes, I couldn't agree more. It is very, very rare in people. But tnx God there is a treatment option for it. And before I continue, you asked how this eating disorder is different from any other eating disorder. Well, this is a disorder that it is not about food. When we are talking about the treatment, you should know that certain tests can be a good start toward determining treatment, including hemoglobin to check for anemia, lead levels if paint or objects coated with lead paint have been consumed,and something that is similar to it. So, there is a cure but the procedure is extremely large and long. And you need to wait for those tests for a long time. 

I am not sure how exactly does someone start eating dirt or paint or something and ends up with this kind of disorder, but there is this theory that I heard some time ago.

You see, alcoholics, drug addictives, gamblers, they are all born prone to these things, they have it in their DNA, that's the theory at least. I think it goes the same for this kind of disorder. Once you get a chance to try, you kind of immediately fall in love with doing it and you just can't stop. I don't know, what do you think about all of this?

You can't simply treat this. It is something that is in your head, you know? Not even in your head, I don't know how to explain it exactly. It is more of a habit, an addiction and no medications or home remedies are going to help you fight this.

This requires professional help. Different kind of help than the help you need for other disorders like depression or anxiety. I don't even know if a psychologist could help here. You probably need a dietitian or something like that. I don't know honestly, it is a very complicated disorder therefore the treatment is complicated as well.

Hey there. At the beginning, you really should know that this is not that easy to treat. It requires huge medical care. 

But as far as I know, this kind of disorder you see more often in kids than in adults, but it can happen to adults as well.

Treatment of this disorder includes numerous factors. For example, treating pica involves behaviors, the environment, and family education and one form of treatment associates the pica behavior with negative consequences or punishment. Then the person gets positive reinforcement for eating normal foods. I think that this is the most effective way but you really need to consult doctor about any other steps.