I'm a 44 year old female and just had a MRI done yesterday (to rule out MS) and at certain times during the procedure I had what felt like electric running down my rt arm to my fingers it was strange. I also had some slight involutary finger movement, also strange. I spoke to a few people who I know have had MRI and they said that they didn't feel anything like that. Is this something that is uncommon? And what would cause that?

Thanks

I've found other posts on another site. This is not uncommon. I was shocked more than a little during a back MRI, with my fingers interlaced on my stomache during the initial locating scan. The techs were not surprised or concerned. I moved them to my sides for the rest of the scans. From what I could gather, this was because my hands were touching, completing a circuit.

I to just had an MRI done on my back, it was in the inclosed unit not the open one. A couple times during the scan, I felt my quad's want to spasm a little but not much. However, the last sesson of noises and the last 2 minutes as soon as the MRI started to make the clicking noises, I all of a suddent felt my armpits feel electrofied, and within a few seconds it resonated all the way up to my finger tips that was raised above my head and out the front of the MRI device. My hands I was told not to hold them together and keep them and my feet from being crossed. I continued to feel this electrical pulse until the scan was complete. Being an electrical engineer I am certian the name itself Magnetic Resonance Imaging, the MRI is using polarity shifts as it circles your body in order to capture the pictures. So the magnets charge is roatating positive negitive and alternating currents which causes the pulsing of the electrical current. The reason I felt it more in my armpits and the glands in my armpits is because my body absorbs some of the deoderant and my glands must harbor some in them because of the constant use of deoderant being absorb slightly into the body. Plus the fact that some deoderants have traces of some metal which would condcut electricity better then the water that are bodies are made up of. Thus all these combinations constitue why there was electrical pulsing taking place during the scan.

I had an MRI yesterday for the first time and experienced a sort of current in my shoulders, very weird and difficult to describe not to mention my teeth...almost chattering and a metallic taste in my mouth from the fillings I suppose.