Hi I have had constant severe vertigo for the last 17 days. Vertigo (actual sensation that the room is tilting to the right) is happening about 7 times per hour until today. Today I have had only 7 or 8 episodes all day. About a week ago I also noticed what feels like an electric shock going through my head. I went to an ENT specialist yesterday and had my hearing tested. Hearing is normal. I have also had the sensation of numbness on the right side of my face - near the cheek bone, into the right side of my nose and into my right eye. This only lasts for about 5 to 10 mins. When I touch my face I still have full feeling in the area that feels numb. Any suggestions? I am wondering if I should ask my GP to schedule a CT or MRI?

sounds like MS. that's what i have. get an MRI.

I have pretty much the exact same symptoms and I have been told that I likely have MS as well, but for the past 4 years I have had clean MRI's. I have recently discovered that I also have acute anxiety, and I have often wondered if my symptoms have anything to do with that. Regardless, I would suggest getting an MRI as well, it can never hurt.

MY WIFE AND I HAVE BOTH EXPERIENCED QUICK JOLTS OF VERTIGO, WHICH CAN USUALLY BE TRIGGERED BY THE MOVEMENT OF THE EYES SIDEWAYS FROM ONE EXTREME TO THE OTHER. IT ALSO PRODUCES A "SWOOSHING" SOUND IN OUR HEADS (LIKE THE SOUND YOU HEAR WHEN A DOOR OPENS ON THE STARSHIP ENTERPRISE FROM STAR TREK).

WE HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO A SIDE AFFECT FROM ANTIDEPRESSANTS. THIS IS MOST COMMON IF YOU MISS DOSES OR HAVE STOPPED TAKING THEM.

I HOPE THIS HELPS. IF ANYONE HAS MORE INFO ON THIS PLEASE POST IT.

Hi -

It kind of sounds like Chiari. An MRI can tell you whether you have this or not. Chiari is the herniation of the cerebellum past the base of the skull.

I would see a neurologist. Have you been monitoring your blood pressure? Could be a mini stroke or something like that. Your doctor will probably want to send you for an MRI.

Wow, this is exacty what I'm experiencing, and sure enough, I stopped taking Cymbalta about a week and a half ago. Thanks for sharing the info, as I was really worried and imagining the worst!

I have suffered from innerear vertigo my entire life. I have been told that my inner ear was not formed right from birth. I have always gotten motion sickness and just turning my head too quickly can start a dizzy spell. I suffer from severe migrains and panick attacks also. Another problem that has plagued me the past couple of years when I get a head cold, which always affects my inner ear, is that sometimes when I move my eyes I hear an electic shock sound, I dont feel a shock but the sound of an electic shock is in my head and I feel my eyeballs move like I have been shocked. The perscription Antivert always helps to aleviate the dizzy spells and the electric shock feeling.

i am currently experiencing the same feeling. i've come to the conculsion that's its paxil. I've been taking this medication for anxiety. i will be going to the doc this week to confirm.

Yup same thing feels like an electric shock through my head and arms and hands. Was really thinking the worst until I read a couple of the replies. I stopped taking celexa an anti-depressant bout a week and a half ago. I bet that is what it is from. At least i am not too worried thinking I am going to go into convulsions.

I also have had this for several weeks and stopped taking cymbalta a few weeks ago.

I am 72 and have had these electric jofts since my 20's. First, see a doctor to rule out anything physical. One Doc thought I may have had a high fever when I was a child and was left with leasion in my brain. Bottom line, nothing physical could be found. Been to psychologist, therapists, bio feedback, etc but in my case, lorazepam works. Have tried antidepressants in the pass but they didn't work. Was hoping I would outgrow this as I got old. But, no luck. Everyone is different so please see doctor. These symptom can be difficult to live with. Good luck

No kidding I thought I was going crazy. I just switched from one antidepressant to another. I fell the shocks through the body and hear the wooshing when I move my eyes back and forth. it has been a bit longer for my med change though. thanks for all the info

This is exactly what i have been experiencing and I haven't taken my antidepressants for about a week now. I thought I was the only one. Glad to hear I am not alone

anonymous wrote:

anonymous wrote:

I had these for years but they got worse recently when i stopped taking citalopram anti depressant. they are weird sensations but i kinda of like em!? the only issue is when driving and i need to look they can be off putting.