Hi! After some tests I already had doctor suggested me MRI of pericardium. What is MRI? How does MRI performed? How long procedure last? Why doctor suggested me MRI?

Hi! Heart magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is procedure that uses powerful magnets and radio waves to produce pictures of the heart. They probably will scan your heart. The heart may be scanned by itself, or a heart MRI may be part of a chest MRI. You will lie on a narrow table which slides into a large tunnel-like tube within the scanner. Small devices may be placed around the head, arm, or leg, or adjacent to other areas to be studied. A technologist will operate the machine and observe you from an adjacent room during the entire study. This procedure may take about 1 hour. There is no pain during the procedure. Your doctor suggested you MRI, because he probably thinks that you have Pericardial effusion or tumor invasion of blood vessels or pericardium.