Hi, my mom is smoking for a long time and she is 48 years old. Several weeks ago her doctor told her that she is suffering from bronchitis but she continued with smoking. She is coughing in the morning too. I would like to know how her smoking affects her lungs especially when she has bronchitis.

Hi, smoking has probably caused bronchitis to your mother. By continuing with smoking she will just worse her present condition and make it chronically. Also there is possibility that she may suffer from emphysema which also may be caused by cigarette's smoke. Anyway your mother would have to quit smoking if she wants to save her lungs from further injuring.

Hello there tana,

I completely agree with the poster above me. Smoking has probably the main culprit for your mother’s condition and unfortunately chances are that she will develop chronic bronchitis if she doesn’t stop with this bad habit. Since she is 48 years old it is probably very hard to her to even consider stopping, but you must have some influence on her and explain how much smoking is going to endanger her health, if she don’t do something about it.

Furthermore, coughing is one of the symptoms of bronchitis, and even when all other symptoms are gone cough can remain persistent over a month. But in case that cough lasts 3 months than your mother has probably developed chronic bronchitis.