Hello, I have a short question. I'm having some problems with my allergies, and was sent to spirometry to check if something was wrong with my lungs as well. The results were suggesting I had mild asthma, however I smoke from time to time, and I haven't told the doctor about it because my parents were there. To be precise, I smoke one cigarette every other day. In comparisson to other people, I know it is not much, however, is it possible that this small amount could have triggered the heightened concentration of carbon monoxyde in my lungs which indicates asthma ? Thank you.

Hi Bruno,

You really should tell your doctor the truth.  If you are old enough to smoke you can go in without your parents.

Asthma should not increase carbon monoxide levels, smoking will.  Asthma may increase your carbon DIOXIDE levels, that's normal.  You can't exchange air as efficiently so the CO2 level rises slightly.

Give up the smoking now and it will help your asthma.

Hope it helps.

I see, thank you for your advice. I'm supposed to do another spirometry around Christmas, I don't suppose a month would be enough to clean my lungs ?

Actually, it will help. As soon as you stop smoking your lungs will begin to clean themselves out. Depending upon how long you've been smoking, you may cough up some brownish mucous. This is a good sign. It shows your airway is cleaning.

Asthma is an airway disease. You just don't want to do anything to aggravate the condition.

Good luck Bruno. Keep us posted as to your next test results.

Thanks, I'll report back after a while :)

Hey, yesterday I've seen my doctor, and it seems that I was never supposed to do another spirometry. So we'll never actually know if my last results were caused by smoking or if I really had asthma :P but I did stop smoking for a whole month, I guess that counts for something.