I have enlarged lumps on the back of my tongue. A few weeks ago, I had what is known as a black hairy tongue. My tongue was coated black and there were enlarged lumps on the back of my tongue that felt like hair. Very uncomfortable. My Doctor, who is a Jerk, said it could be a sign of cancer, but didn't do anything further about it. I went to the dentist and she and another dentist looked at it (it really was gross) and then they went away for awhile and came back and said not to do anything except use Colgate toothpast and a tongue scraper. In two days, it was better. BUT, now the enlarged lumps are back and I can feel them. My tongue is not black this time and the enlarged lumps are white. What's up with that???

Hello there,

Maybe you are just overreacting and it is not the same condition again but this time it could be infection of the throat. I usually have problems with this infection and the first symptom (other than sore throat obviously) is enlarged whitish tonsils. The get covered by this thick membrane when they get infected.

Unfortunately, you will probably have to visit your doctor one more time and ask him to prescribe you antibiotics because in this way you will heal faster. In meanwhile you can help yourself by increase intake of fluids into your organism, and especially warm tea with honey. This is beneficial for your health in more than one way. I hope you will get better soon.

i am experiencing all the same things except for the blackness, how did things work out for you, and what did you do to help it? THNX JJ