I am thankful I found this site ... really my dentist did for me. I have had an "tongue and throat" problem for almost a year, at first i thought i had an allergic reaction to tomato and then to milk, so i took them out of my diet, saw an allergist, i do not have any food allergies except for hazlenut (which i have allways eaten) he did a RAST (blood) test and the skin test, nothing showed up, been to my GP, ENT he scoped and said it all looked find to my voice box, went to a GI doctor he was good but still didnt know and said to go to my OBGYN because it gets worse with hormonal fluxes, i can usually tell which days of the month are going to be worse for my tongue. went to the dentist and he looked at pictures, took picutres of my tongue and thought is sounded like Enlarged Circumvallate Papillae, doing more research does anyone with this also have swollen or enlarged Lingual Tonsils, i didnt even know what they were, they are on the back base of your tongue, i have the "U" shape of Enlarged Circumvallate Papillae but also it is bumpy behind it, does anyone else have this.

i am afraid to eat, i have really limited my diet, no rhym or reason what effects it but sometimes it feels like my thoroat is going to close up and that feeling freaks me out, if it is onlyEnlarged Circumvallate Papillae i know that wont happen but it is the unknown that scares me.

I am trying to find Dairy (milk and casien) free probiotics to try to see if it will help, it is hard to find dairy free ones. I have stopped using listerine toothpast after reading many of the posts saying listerine enflames the bumps, they havent gone down it does not feel normal at all.

I take claritin everyday which seems to help it, not sure why but i am taking 2 childrens chewable a day (the adult have lactose in them) i was taking tagament in case it was acid reflux, i stopped that last week and dont think there is a big difference. Sometimes the back of my throat even seems bumpy too.......

It just makes me nervous the unknown and i have been to many doctors and very tired of going, thankfully my new dentist was good and truly listend and looked into for me.

Any information anyone has would be great especially if you have bumps behind the "U of V" shapped Enlarged Circumvallate Papillae. Do you think Enlarged Circumvallate Papillae and lingual tonsils go hand in hand, all salivary....?

It is even bothersome the more I talk when they are swollen, they are tingly like i'm assuming do to it being enlarged?

I'm glad to hear that you at least have an answer to your problems, even if it doesn't totally help out since there is not much you can do for this other than try to avoid making the situation worse like you said.. I can tell you that the lingual tonsils don't have anything to do with enlarged circumvallate papillae so if you having an issue there, it is totally separate. Did you talk to your dentist about it? Keep us posted.

I realize this post is over a year old, but I'm curious to know if you ever found a solution to your problem?  I have had this same exact issue for the past 5 months and you are the first person that I've found withy the exact symptoms.  did you ever find anything to clear it up?