I have noticed for the past few days the large bumps on the back of my tongue. After researching and viewing pictures I believe it is just enlarged circumvallate papillae. I understand there is no treatment for this, but can you tell me if they will ever return to normal, where I don't feel like I have a hair stuck in the back of my throat?

I recently have noticed the same problem. I'm trying to find out if it's due to a recent change in soda or mouthwash. I just started drinking diet mountain dew and using a mouthwash for whitening teeth. It contains hydorgenperoxide I think.

Well I just wanted to say that they are "circumvallate papillae" and why they have enlarged, I do not know. I too have been sick recently with a sinus infection and when I looked at my tongue, I freaked because I first thought it was mouth cancer.

I chew tobacco and thought it must be cancer, but after looking on the Interenet believe differently now. I'm taking antibiotics to get rid of the sinus infection and will be checking the mirrow for the next few weeks to make sure the circumvallate papillae recede somewhat.

Good news is you shouldn't die from having these circumvallate papillae, since everyone has them. Also I'm trying to halt the tobacco altogether.

Hi, I have these red bumps on the back of my tongue and i would like to know where it is caused from and how do I treat it. My sister has the same problem. Is it because of the mouthwash I recntly used?

I have the same problem. The papillae enlarge almost every now and then and may last a few days to a couple of weeks. I have no idea why, but I hate that feeling on the back of my tongue on the roof of my mouth. Anyone figure out how to minimize them or what can cause them to be enlarged?

I also seem to have developed a sensitivity to spicey or salty food. I usually can handle both of those with no problem.

Also I have a salivary gland that swells up now and then too.

I found this, I wonder if systemic salivary gland problems can cause the enlarging of the circumvallate papillae.

Quote:

Ebner's glands

Also known as:
von Ebner's glands

Associated persons:
Anton Gilbert Victor von Ebner, Ritter von Rosenstein

Description:
Serous glands of the tongue, located beneath the circumvallate and foliate papillae. They are specialised minor serous salivary glands that drain saliva into the trough at the base of these papillae.

I am so glad I found these posts. I have had the same thing for a couple of weeks, and until I found this information, I thought for sure it was
throat cancer. I keep feeling like I have to swallow cause I have something on the back of my tongue and when I looked I saw all these bumps and even feel them down in my throat. Very annoying. Feels like a fur ball.

What is interesting is the large lack of information about this problem, but apparently many people suffer from this. Maybe sharing data about this will help others.

It has felt like I had like a piece of food in the back of my tongue all day. And I have been swallowing all day! I am going to try to get into the doctor, just so that I know what it is for sure tho.

I have been taking Probiotics for about 2 weeks now and my problem has cleared up for about the same amount of time. I will post again if it reoccurs.
A friend of mine told me her sister had the same problem and she took a probiotic formula and appeared to cure the situation.

I wonder if an immune problem and oral infection caused a blockage in the serous glands that wash the tongue area where the circumvillate papillary are a is were causing part of the swelling. With the boost in the digestive tract I seem to be fighting off the problem.

I am taking Jarrow Dophilus EPS, but was told to try Enzymatic Therapy's Acidophilus Pearls and Nature's Way Primadophilus Optima formulas. Both were too expensive for my budget but many people like them. They have to be refrigerated though.

:-D I'm relieved at seeing all this information on here especially the choking sensation like a pill got caught in my throat, I hate that sensation.

Does your enlarged Papillae look like little tiny tumor clustered together? Mine is the right side, took the dr to figure out what I was trying to show him. He says it might be from acid in juices, I was drinking grape juice everyday. Then I started feeling that choking sensation. So I took a flashlight and looked in. Started to freak out. Wish I would have found this sight before I wasted money on the dr. >:(

Of course my vertigo is acting up and my sinuses hurt, so that might have something to contribute. So I had antibotics for that, so maybe we'll see if the swelling goes down.

Actually mine look like the illustration/photos typically showing the C.Papillae in a V or U shape pattern. I have about 8 in the row, never really counted them. They just get enlarged or raised and all at once, not individually. But you can see a lot of things toward the back of the tongue that can possibly get swollen from trauma or infection or something.

Here is an illustration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gray1014.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Illu04_tongue.jpg

After a visit with a very informative oral surgeon.

His comments were welcome and relieving.

He spent a lot of time chatting with me about the problems I was experiencing. He suggested I log my foods and log the symptoms to determine if there are any correlations with diet and reactions.

He said he wasn't alarmed that the fact the circumvate papillae would enlarge all at once. If it was just one, then he would think there was a particular problem with the area. Odds are that an irritation caused by a certain food or beverage is triggering the flare up.

I am so thankful for the internet! I had a septoplasty a few weeks ago and all with my tongue was normal until then. After surgery, i noticed what I now know is very large circumvallate papillae. I have not had any change in diet or anything that would prompt these to bloom out. The only thing I can think of is that possibly the breathing tube while I was under anethesia irritated this area? Has anyone seen or heard about this in their research of this problem? I hate to fork over another copay for this.... 8-|

If you were given antibiotics after or during your surgery it could be your intestinal digestive flora has been depleted. This weakens your immune system and maybe that is why some people have this issue.
Try the probiotics, one with multiple strains. It can't hurt and maybe you will see results in 1 or 2 weeks. My doctor said there was nothing he could do when mine flared up. He seemed to think it would just go away.