Hi, I have red lumps and places on both sides of my tongue. At first I thought that the cause for it was my consummation of soda drinks like Coke. Therefore, I gave up the sodas but those lumps and places are still there. I also went to my doc due to sore throat and I mentioned this problem too but he told me that was some sort of an allergy. But, I’m not sure that is the real cause because it lasts really long and persistent. Now I'm starting to believe that these two things may be cancer. What kind of doctor do I need to see for this? Is it possible this could be cancer???

You should see your dentist about and ask for a referral to an oral & maxillofacial surgeon if he can’t determine the cause. But, I have to tell you there are some normal structures at the side, towards the back of the tongue that can be mistakenly red as disease or abnormality of some kind! Some lumps seen at the back of the tongue are also very often normal and they are called circumvallate papillae. Some people also sometimes misinterprete these lumps as some sort of disease… I hope that is your case too. Good luck.