In Aug. 2010 I developed severe pain, burning and redness of my tongue along with a really sore neck. This occurred about two weeks after I had taken an antibiotic called sulfamethoxazole for a lingering sinus infection. I had never taken the antibiotic before. After a month of tongue and sore throat pain, I went to my GP. He said he couldn't see anything wrong and thought maybe I was biting my tongue in my sleep and clenching my teeth too tightly because I have TMJ and that was making everything else hurt. Frustrated with his lack of concern, I went to my dentist the next day. He said that the TMJ symptoms were definitely worse, which could be causing the pain and said it was time to throw the OTC sleep guard away and get one made by him especially for my mouth, which I will be receiving on Oct. 18th. He also told me to go see my chiropractor about the TMJ. He didn't seem concerned with the redness and pain in my tongue and concurred with my GP about the biting my tongue in my sleep. The next day I went to chiropractor and saw him three more times thereafter within a 10 day period, where he cracked my upper neck and used an activator on my jaw. I did get a great deal of pain relief, muscle relaxation in my jaw and neck and reduction of the swelling inside of my mouth as a result of the visits to my chiropractor. However the symptoms in my tongue and throat were still unrelenting. My neck is still sore sporadically, but not every day. I waited awhile longer and could not take it anymore and went back to the GP in early October 2010. Furing this period of time, I also noticed that I had a metallic taste in my mouth and at times feel like I am smelling a foul odor like when I have a sinus infection, but I know I do not have a sinus infection. This time he told me I had geographic tongue and that the dentist should have noticed that when I saw him. He told me to get a tongue scraper and some antibacterial mouth rinse and begin using two to three times a day, so I did immediately. I have been doing so for about a week and a half and have seen no improvement in the symptoms. I just want some relief. Can anyone offer any insight on how I can get this condition under control. Besides what I indicated in this post, I have no other health complaints as of late. I hope someone can help me. Thanks, Trish.

OK, a quick scan of the web and BritishDentalHealth site seems reasonable, if less than encouraging - I'd never heard of it, figured it was yet another typo (seen some bizarre stuff) but I learned something, quite unpleasant actually. Apart from a wry thought at the ' characteristic appearance, which experts recognise instantly', the most disturbing aspect is that in UK Dental Health, their prognosis is less than optimistic as to cure: 'Unfortunately, there is no treatment. Sometimes treatments for thrush can ease the discomfort'

Now, I'm always disinclined to take no for an answer, but it certainly isn't encouraging, if that is accurate.

First and obvious step is to check that the diagnosis is accurate. It seems strange, to say the least, that this should occur for the first time in your life just after taking a powerful antibiotic, and having a sinus infection (and let's face it, your mouth issue sounds - to a layman (I'm an experienced adult, not medical professional) - like an infection, whereas Geographic Tongue is essentially a structural (separation of skin) disorder which can invite infection - fair enough, but to paraphrase Bourne: Why Now?

The coincidence, and your freedom from the condition up to this point in your life, seem highly suggestive of a rather convenient (easy to recognise) but damning (no hope of cure) diagnosis. I think the first priority is to treat that diagnosis with a pinch of salt, and keep your mind open to alternatives, both in diagnosis, and in treatment. Scientific Medicine is hardly shining at this point: you may wish to invite and explore other alternatives, without emptying your wallet or incurring undue cost. Do not for example go on a 'course' of any treatment giving a single source hundreds of dollars without impeccable reasons for doing so.

Let us be naive: you have TMJ, presumably as an established condition (again from a scan on the web), a sinus infection, recent, and you take an identified antibiotic. Two weeks later, you experience the tongue infection. I might be curious as to the nature of the sinus infection, as it does sound far too easy for it to have migrated by some means to your tongue, or there may be another correlation, or linkage.

There are ways to ask, but I'm not going to go into them in this post, on a health website. If your enquiries lead you to them, they may be of assistance - remember that nothing should cost you more than $50-$100 ever, unless you have impeccable reasons for considering it justified (and that is probably a lot less than modern science is costing!)

I don't have the answer - obviously - but I don't trust negatives - no hope, no cure, no treatment - especially when it just 'appears' at this late stage in your life (your not an infant, are you, so we're not talking genetic and obvious, are we?) just after a significant other health issue (and ongoing TMJ, though I don't see offhand how that is relevant).

For once, I'm also going to say don't give up on science: I don't really trust the ease of diagnosis, paired with the sorry, nothing we can do: let's make sure that if both are accurate, that you are 100% sure that they are indeed accurate (and even then, you have a lot of research on the alternative side to do, if you choose, and patients sometimes do make incredible jumps in medical science as Hollywood kindly rewards me - check out Nick Nolte, I can't remember the name of the film.

And make absolutely sure that 'sudden-onset' is a typical and reasonable symptom for the condition!

from the reading i've done on geographic tongue, it could be related to a vitamin/mineral deficiency. is it possible that the antibiotics destroyed something inside you that you need to replenish? unfortunately i'm not an expert in this field, but have your doc check your vitamin levels... see if something is low or borderline. google healthy tongue secrets. i did not write teh book, and i don't own the book so I can't say if it works or not...

Taking Vitamin B-12 every day seems to help keep my geographic tongue at bay.  I do have breakouts but not near as many as before.

If I didnt know better, I’d say I just read my own story! Wow! Geographic tongue with sore throat and neck, 2 weeks after starting antibiotic for a sinus infection!

I have same symptoms. Dr says I have burning tongue syndrome . I was told by dentist when I was younger I had geographic tongue. And recently after a week of doxycycline and prednisone I developed thrush and geographic tongue. Very painful. Tongue and throat pain. I believe alot has to do with b12 deficiency. It all has been a battle for me as well.