Hi, few days ago a couple of strange looking lumps appeared on the rear side of my tongue. When I looked more closely in the mirror they looked whitish with pink spots on them. Recently I had a nasty throat infection and was lying in bed for a few days to make it go away. The doctor said it was a viral infection and that no antibiotics can help it, so I just drank fluids and vitamins. The throat infection did go away but after that those lumps appeared. They don’t ache but I can feel them in my mouth and it feels weird. What could this be and how do I get rid of it?

Lumps on your tongue can be caused by various factors. The most probable one is a renewed infection probably caused by both bacteria and viruses, that caused the swelling of your lingual tonsils – the groups of lymphatic nodes found in the back of your tongue. If that’s the case you should go and visit your doctor so he or she can prescribe you some antibiotics and then the lumps should disappear. The other cause may be a injury during a dental procedure, that possibly got infected, call your dentist or your general practitioner to give you some kind of antibiotics or to suggest some other form of treatment. If none of the above options are true the last option is the tongue cancer. It is common in men over 40 who are smokers and heavy alcohol addicts, which doesn’t mean that it can't happen in other people. In any case you should consult your doctor or your dentist to have a look at you. I hope that everything goes fine.