my 2 year old son has red bumps on the back of his tongue. Any clue?

At the very back of the tongue, people generally have larger bumps than on the other areas of the tongue.

However, if it looks different and you're concerned, it could still mean the indication of a bacterial infection, such as strep throat. You can take him to his pediatrician. He can be put on antibiotics if he's sick.

If there is no pain or no sign of change in these bumps, I would think that they probably are just normal for your kid at his age. It's not strange that mouth and throat area gets irritated for some reason - anything from dust to infection could cause this, or sometimes an allergy, too. Have you noticed that they appear connected maybe to some food or some other change? I definitely agree that if you can, you should take your son to a doctor,  but this very well might be just the passing stage. But maybe you should be more careful to see if there are any signs of infection or anything like that so you could react in time.