I am a 63 year old female who have been experiencing excruiating leg cramps for over a year now and no doctoc seem to know where they are coming from. I have had just about every test you can name. When I first visited my endocrinologist I was tested and was told I had several bad parathyroids. I had a thyroid sonogram done in May 2009 and it read as follows. The right lobe of the thyroid measures 5.0 x 2.1 x 1.8 cm, the left lobe 4.8 x 1.9 x 1.9 cm and the isthmus 4 mm in thickness. There is a 6.2 mm cyst within the upper pole of the right lobe; a small complex cyst in the lower pole of the right lobe measuring 6.1 mm; within the left lobe, there is a 5 mm calicified nodule in the midpole, another small complex nodule in the midpole adjacent to the calicified nodule measuring 5.2 x 5.0 x 3.8 mm, and a third small hypoecohic nodule within the lower pole of the left lobe measuring 4.6 x 4.4 x 3.9 mm. I was prescribed a high potency of vitamin D, took more tests and finally was told everything was normal. My potassium is normal. I have been researching on the internet and came upon your site. I did read about someone having leg cramps and they were relieved after having surgery for parathyroids. I am hoping to find someone who have experienced what I'm going through and can give me some answers. Please help!

Did you have your blood calcium level tested? Calcium imbalance can cause leg cramps.