My mom had surgery done where they removed all 4 parathyroids as well as a nodule.Since her surgery she has been having a lot of problems.She has had numbness/tingling since surgery and it is getting worse .She has gotten to the point where she is chewing the inside of her mouth without even knowing it.Doctors are being of no help and my mom is VERY frustrated as would anyone else in her shoes.She was told before surgery that she was going to feel 100 times better after the surgery and that she was going to be cured of her thyroid disease. Everywhere we look it states that all 4 parathyroids are NOT suppose to be removed,her were all removed and apparently they put new ones in ????? I have never even heard of that being done !!?? So they removed all of her parathyroid glands and as well a nodule and then replaced 2 of her parathyroids with new ones ?????? If anyone has any info on this or has had it done themselves please send me any info you have. Thank you :-)

Where are you from and where did your mom have her surgery done. I have had two parathyroid surgeries and in need of another as I have hyperplacia. Seems I can't find anyone expert enough to do anything but remove all the glands. I would love to talk with you more.

sw

Hello, This is my first posting on here.

I am impressed with this web site http://www.parathyroid.com/

about parathyroid's. The parathyroid's are "around" the thyroid but not part of it. We faxed all of my labs to them. They specialize in the parathyroids and have seen many cases. I am tired all the time, my bones hurt, I have kidney stones, and my family says that I am grumpy, and also I can't focus or concentrate. This could all be due to a tumor on one parathyroid that is causing calcium to be pulled from my bones! I want to have the mini surgery by experts. Study and prove what you hear, and this is a very complete web site. I just hope they can see me quickly. I want to feel better soon!

Take care,

I had parathroid surgery 9 years ago at Fletcher Allen in Burlington VT. I had one removed as it was larger than a pecan and supposed to be no larger than a pea. Before the surgery I had not been feeling well for 5 years. I had to urinate many times a day and night. Felt I was in a fog, couldn't think clearly and noticed I was breaking bones. They did a bone scan on me and said my bones were the same as a 70 year old woman. I was 49. I got the surgery and it was a breeze. I did feel tingle sensations afterward but my doctor told me to take calcium through I think it was tums with calcium for a few days and then calcium supplements. The tingle went away the first week. My in a fog feeling went away within 8 months and haven't had it since. I urinate 4 times a day. I do have the parathyroid checked every year via blood test. Still grumpy so don't think that had anything to do with it. But being tired, bone pain and concentration was all cleared up after surgery.

I had a parathyroid surgery this year, thanks to the surgeon it went very well. I have been very weak and have had my fair share of mood swings, since the surgery. The incision was done professionally on the crease of the neck, and is healing slowly. I have built enormous appetite, and now have to watch for my weight. I have been advised to go on Calcium and Vitamin D. I need to be patient with myself, as I expected a miracle cure in a couple of weeks, but it apparently it takes 3 to 6 weeks to feel better, and months before the scars and general health improve I have been advised to massage the scar, and to put Vitamin E oil (used for after surgery scars) on the scar, and to massage it a bit. Most people say I look and sound better, after the surgery, which I hope to feel the same one day for myself. Surgery done in Canada.

I need answers so bad, my mom was diagnosed in 2000 with fibromalgyia after a year she became allergic to all her medication, after this we found a docter in America who did mri scans on her and found she had a chiari 1 malformation they did sugery by removing it in April 2005 all was sucessful and we thought this was a miracle our mom are cured forever. Non the less all her fibromalgyia symtoms was still there she was going backwards. In 2008 we found a specialist physician in Santon South Africa who said he can solve her problems, he removed her parathyroids 3 of them leaving 1. Its almost 2 year after that surgery and her whole body is collapsing. Her symtoms to date is calcium problems need to gets calsuim every month from the hospital, shes depressed because shes not getting better. We think that the docter damaged the 4th parathyroid. She makes all of us angery and bring herself and us to tears each day because she generally doesnt feel good. Please HELP. We need some answers :'(

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Mr Palazzo done my surgery...went well....NHS hospital Charring Cross Hosp. London

Your 4 parathyroids lie behind thyroid. They are normally pea size and control the calcium in your body. If they need to remove all parathyroids they save a piece of parathyroid tissue and implant it in the arm. I know that sounds weird, but that is normally what happens. Your mother may need to take calcium as well. The nodule may have been a thyroid nodule because the surgeons can see the thyroid well when they do parathyroid surgery. I had 2 parathyroids removed and a thyroid nodule removed. Check out Dr. James Norman's website. I hope your mother is doing better.

Hi Please forward me your contact details.

parathyroid surgery is great if you need it and can have the least invasive method. I was having horrible symptoms too and as soon as the bad parathyroid was removed, those symptoms left. The only draw back was that my thyroid was bumped and it is now surging out thyroid hormone. The levels are returning to normal, I can hardly wait to fee tip top. But to me the parathyroid surgery was well worth it. love sharon

Hello everyone. First I want to thank all of you for being here. I have been extremely concerned (more like scared out of my mind!) for the past few weeks. I had my surgery 3 weeks ago (1 adenoma removed, benign, no surgery complications, done in less then 1 hour). My calcium prior to sx was 13! and my PTH was 168. All found by chance during bloodwork after I was have severe pain on my right side (GP suspected kidney stone). Anyway I went through sll of the tests, ultrasound, scan-both found adenoma on lower left side. A couple of days after my sx my vision went blurry and I was extremely weak especially on my left side. I had numbness and tingling so I started taking tums. By the way, my surgeon did not tell me to take any calcium after the surgery, I just decided to do it on my own after all of the reading I've done. Tums did not work and I was rushed to the hospital TWICE within 2 days for the same problem. Both times my bloodwork was normal-calcium was at 9. My surgeons nurse kept telling me to give it another 72 hours and if not better to call back. I saw my GP after the second trip to the ER and he checked my calcium and it was still in normal range. I called my surgeon to discuss the fact that I read calcium should have been started immediately after surgery and his nurse called me back saying he said I can start taking Calcium with Vitamin D but said it in a way tha was so dismissive and acted like it wasn't going to help because my levels were normal. He said it is a neourological problem and to go back to my GP to refer me to a neuro. Well, the weakness is still there especially in left sideand I he tingling, numbness, cramping mostly in my left leg (the entire leg) and left arm/hand. Bone pain in both legs on and off. My vision has returned to normal. I have an appt next friday with neuro. My GP doesn't think they will find anything and said mybody may be trying to get used to my new normal level since it was extremely high and did a sudden drop immediatley after sx. I went on one site and spoke to a neuro because I have convinced myself I have ALS (Lou Gehrig's DZ) I am panicking everyday and have to take xanax just to cope with the fear and elevated anxiety I have also been experiencing since sx. He said ALS wouldn't just come on after surgery like that but I don't understand what kind of neurological problem that can occur right after I had tx. Jus coincidenc I guess? I had such high hopes that I was going to feel great after my surgey and I feel a thousand times worse! Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm ging to be place in a mental institution. I am obsessed with the ALS possibility and cannot think of anything else. The pain in me leg is real, the weakness is real. Why would it

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

How are you feeling now? I am at the 3 week mark and still having bone pain.

have you found out anything yet?

I am getting ready to have parathyroid surgery at Fletcher Allen as well. Who was your surgeon? Who would you recommend? I realize it was a long time ago but any in put would be appreciated

There is so much mis-information and ignorance in this series of questions and answers, it is scarey. They should all be removed! There's a difference between the thyroid and the parathyroids, and they perform totally different functions.
Delete everything and start with a clean slate!