?
I am 5 weeks post hemi thryroidectomy for a lump that turned out to be non cancerous. I have found my swallowing to be inhibited regularly at this time. I honestly thought that that would dissipate more than it has since the surgery. I am also concerned that I am immensly aware each time that I swallow. My whole throat and skin move up 2 inches. It is quite obvious to anyone who watches. I also feel like I am choking on things I swallow alot. I have to tuck my chin to get some things down. I wonder if I am being paranoid. My EENT doc says everything is fine, go see my regular MD, hmm.

I had the same thing after my rt. hemi thyroidectomy in Jan. 2008. It was very uncomfortable and difficult to swallow my vitamins. I concluded that the thyroid lobes balance each other with the isthmus in the center. When one lobe disappears the isthmus contracts since it is now longer connected to the missing lobe. The contraction is much like a rubber band which held together two objects. Take one object away and the rubber band contracts. The contraction causes a slightly new enlargement in the isthmus area and tends to compress the esophagus in the center front of the neck region. Eventually it will go down some as you heal. My nurse told me it will take mos. to fully heal. You will always feel it some but it will get better ... and you will also get "used" to it.

I am 11 day post hemi thryroidectomy for a lump. i'm still waiting for the final report on the lump. but i'm also experiencing "I also feel like I am choking on things I swallow alot. I have to tuck my chin to get some things down" and i frequently feel like there's an air bubble on my throat. i have no idea if this is normal... so at times i feel worried too... so i feel ur concern.

I'm really sorry to hear that so many of you having had this op - hemi thryroidectomy, are suffering.

For those reading this website having to undergo this op I felt that I must write my take on mine.

I had the op a week ago and I can honestly say that I have felt no real pain. Not by my standard anyway knowing always, of course, that pain can be a reletive term. I have felt discomfort and a bit of stinging but not pain. The cut with the dressing pulls a bit but that is all. The worst bit for me has been the emotional impact of having surgery. Until today, I have felt close to tears, tired and a bit edgy but even that has passed now but I don't underestimate the effects that anaesthetic have on the body. I'm having the dressing off on Thurs so i'll get an idea of what the scar looks like and an idea, maybe, of what it is going to look like in the future and howwell it's actually healed so far.

Good luck, try not to be too anxious and I hope that your experience is as positive as mine.

It was good to read these posts. I am 2 weeks post-op and having the same trouble swallowing and feel like something is constantly tied around my neck. Hoping that it will get better over time. I wonder whether they cut some fascia to get to the thyroid and now it is tight?

Hmm, I know someone who went in for a parathyroidectomy (one gland) but the surgeon did a hemithyroidectomy instead. within 24 hrs another doctor had to redo the procedure because some blood vessel was not sealed off...Scary

Thank you for sharing your experience-- I will undergo hemi thyroidectomy on March 05, 2015 and I must admit I am nervous and skeptical about it. I have been thinking maybe just let it be-- just don't have it operated, anyways I feel fine. The only thing that is alarming me though is- what if down the road it turns out to be cancerous? and undetected until it is too late. What do you think? Your inputs will be much appreciated. Thank you

Hi -

I am just 3 days post half thyroidectomy and when I swallow if feels like a huge lump is there ( it is!). I have had very little pain and off the pain meds. I didn't realize that this swallowing problem could continue for some people... guess I just need to wait and see how the swelling resolves. It was the surgeons first half although she was experienced and had done many many whole ones. I had a toxic goiter on one side and was hyperthyroid. Got the levels down some before surgery but was in risk of thyroid storm that could kill you- very rare though. The hope was that with half I would not need the synroid replacement. Did anyone have experience with that?

Hi I'm two days post left hemithyroidectomy for a 5mm lesion.I had a fine needle biopsy before but the results were inconclusive.I was a little anxious prior to surgery probably because of the operation site being so close to the neck major veins etc.Now I'm worried about the pathology results and if I will need Calcium supplements or other meds.Prior to this I have been fit and healthy on no medications and I want things to stay that way.Resting today finding it difficult to sleep as swallow strange but no real pain.Good luck to anyone about to undergo any surgery as a nurse I can say that I have a new appreciation of what it is like on the other side.:)

Today marks two weeks since I had a left extended hemithyroidectomy (left lobe and isthmus removed). I also had some lymph nodes removed as a precautionary measure but parathyroid remains intact. Pathology results took one week and I am glad to say my lumps were benign. I have to say I'm feeling very well. I had physio on my neck 9 days after surgery which resolved the pain resulting from the hyperextension of the neck during surgery. First couple of days post op I experienced mild headaches (as a result of neck) which were eased with panadol. 5 days after the surgery I was back to doing my daily 6km walks (mainly flat walking, no hill climbing). I have experienced some itchiness around the wound site but no pain. There was some difficulty with swallowing in the first week post surgery but two weeks on I can swallow normally. How you feel post surgery has a lot to do with the experience of your surgeon so if possible, shop around and secure the services of the one with the best reputation. Also, I would advise you to undertake a diligent routine of neck stretching pre-surgery (at least two weeks or longer if you have the opportunity) as this definitely helps the recovery process. Keep up the stretching post-surgery too. I had blood tests taken today which will reveal thyroid function post-op. Overall, I am glad I had the operation. My large (31mm) goitre was significantly deviating my trachea and I was experiencing many 'hyper' symptoms including heart palpitations, nausea, dizziness, and insomnia for some months prior the op. These have all resolved with the removal of half of my thyroid.

Hi all
I went in front total thyroidectomy 1st Dec due to suspicious nodules both sides. Only had right side removed in the end as during surgery concerns about risk of damage to voice box. It was fine no damage. Had to chase results which was benign. Need to go vack in Feb to discuss left side. Hopefully the left nodule is benign too. Feeling variable symptoms since surgery mainly joint pain. Anyone else have similar? ?
Thanks

I'm having the same surgery you had and have many of the same pre-op issues. What has recovery been like since this post? Any issues develop since? I ask as I understand there is a risk of still needing thyroid supplements after this surgery.