I have 2 lumps on left side of thyroid which were biopsied, and one small lump on right side which was not done. The left side came back as follicular lesions. Can't tell if it's cancerous without removing left side of thyroid. I went to a specialist today. He offered me two choices. 1. Total removal, 2. Biopsy other side and see results. (The results have to be benign to leave the other half) But if I have left side removed and it comes back cancerous, I still have to have a second surgery to remove the other side. I don't know what to do. I'm 44, female, Married, 3 kids, 2 at home. I've been reading the side effects of total removal and it's scary. I have a good life with my family and I don't want mood swings, depression, excessive weight gain, etc. to mess things up. Looking for some advice of those who have been here
Thanks

Jana 4528,

I would suggest that you get a second opinion so you feel confortable with your decision. I recently had one thyroid lobe removed because of a very large nodule. When the pathology report came back, there were also two small cancers that had not been detected. My surgeon did not believe that it was necessary to remove the other lobe. I'm having ultrasound every 3-6 months to watch it and at this point there is no reason to remove it. I think you should ask your doctor why he believes the second lobe should be removed. I believe that it is a case by case decision and he might have a good reason but it shouldn't be done "just to be sure" when there is no indication of a problem.

My thyroid nodule was not causing a problem except for its size but I was having surgery for a parathyroid adenoma and the doctors thought that the thyroid surgery should be done also. The paperwork, consent, etc were done for a total thyroidectomy just in case they found that was what was necessary. They really don't know what they are going to find until they do the surgery. I made sure that my surgeon knew that I wanted to keep my body as intact as possible - and he agreed with that. Small thyroid cancers are very common but many times they don't cause any problems. Lots of people never know they have them.

At any rate, the surgery is not difficult for the patient. I can't speak to the results of total thyroidectomy, but I already took a small dose of Synthroid and now I just take one extra pill per week. I have not felt any effects but I still have half my thyroid.

Just be sure that you are totally confident with your surgeon and confident with your decision. If your surgeon can't answer all your questions to your satisfaction, find another one. I wish you well.
mass

I am 21 and was resently dealing with the same situation that you are in. A doctor found a lump on the left half of my thyroid, which with a Thyroid scan, ultrasound and fine needle aspiration was diagonised as Herthle Cell Neoplasm. This type of cell is sometime benign and sometimes not. My surgeon suggested surgery to remove the left side of my thyroid. I was concerned and got a second opinion and he also agreed that I should have surgery to remove the left half and possibly the whole gland if was infact cancer. I had the surgery almost 3 weeks ago and feel great. If the test would have come back that it was cancer I would have had to have a second surgery but thank goodness it wasn't. I'm not going to say it was a great experience but it was for sure a lot better that I thought it would be. I had the surgery early friday and stayed over night to ensure I was breathing correctly due to swelling. There is some discomfort with the swelling when swallowing and eating but it's more of an annoying pain. I rarely took the pain killers even the day after surgery and went to a wedding reception the following night. It is still swollen and sore some days but at least I know I don't have to worry about the growth anymore. So I would suggest to get a second or even a third opinion. If it comes down to surgery it will be better than you think, if there aren't any complicatons. I think you would rather know what it is, rather than to leave it and wonder.

Jana
Did you suffer weight gain? I had my thyroid (all of it)  removed three day's ago, and now read up on weight gain and other side effects. I am really scared.... how are you doing today?
Ota

I had half of my thyroid removed. 2 nodules on rights side 1 3cm other smaller. I did have biopsy done because I have two on each side. It came back not cancer of course but I said take left side out because you can not trust biopsy and I was right it was cancer. They damaged by vocal cord and didn't have much of a voice for Four months but is now better. I have to decide after about year to get other side removed because the nogules are small and they said would watch by ultra sound but I think I should get other side removed. By sister went through same thing but no vocal damage. She is exresisting lots and watching what she eats and has lots a lot of weight being on medication. So I think you will have to work at it, and keep getting blood tested.  b.