Hi, I'm 53 years old and I have a big problem with snoring. I personally don’t notice anything but since the complaints of my wife were getting louder and louder I have decided to do something about it. One of my friends had a similar problem and he told me that he solved it by having this surgery which he called UPPP. What exactly does acronym UPPP mean, what exactly would they do to me if I decided to have a surgery like that and are there any serious complications?

UPPP stands for Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty that translated from Latin means the surgery of shaping the elements of your back throat: uvula, soft palate and pharynx – your throat. The UPPP surgery is considered to be a solution to obstructive sleep apnea or as the layman would say it: it is the solution to your snoring problem (obstructive sleep apnea = snoring). Snoring is happens when parts of your throat, uvula, tonsils and soft palate fall inside the airway during the sleep and cause the strange sound also known as snoring. With UPPP surgeon removes the parts of the throat that are in the airway, the parts that are causing obstruction. Usually at the same time when the uvula and parts of the soft palate are removed, also tonsils are removed if they still exist because they can be a problem in the later course of the surgery and if they are left complications may appear so another surgery may be required to remove them. Complications are common just like in any other surgery, and recovery from this procedure can take up to two weeks. The success rate of this surgery is around 85 percent. If you are concerned with the complications there’s also LAUP - Laser Assisted Uvulopalatoplasty, does the same as UPPP only with the laser. The advantage is that LAUP is minimally invasive, the disadvantage is that you have to take 3 – 5 treatments in order to achieve the desired result. In any case you should consult your doctor for advice on this matter.

Forget UPPP. it is ver dangeraus. I made it. İt is horrible. It changed my life so badly.