Hello! My husband had serious sleep disturbances and he was diagnosed a sleep apnea. Since is twenty kilograms overweight and he is a heavy smoker I am seriously concerned. His doctor says he has to change his habits, quit smoking and consult a nutritionist. My husband didn't even consider it. The doctor recommended a CPAP device but I am not sure if CPAP will make any difference for him.

Hello! It is very important for people who suffer from sleep apnea to lose weight and quit smoking. It is also important to avoid alcohol consumption and sleep medicines. If your husband sleeps on his back he should try to sleep on his side. All these things will improve his condition. The CPAP device is proven to be helpful. It is a special mask which goes over the nose and mouth while sleeping. This device will keep your husband's airway open by adding pressure to the air he breathes. Your husband will maybe feel strange in the first time but he should not be discouraged and he will feel the benefits soon.