Hello! My husband suffers from obstructive sleeping apnea and as there weren’t any medications we are thinking about having a surgery, and we would like to know more about the possibilities. What kind of surgeries are there? Thank you

Hi there! The type of surgery depends on the cause of the sleep apnea. As I can see from your title, it must be the uvula that is causing the problem. I believe that the best surgery is Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP), which is a surgery that removes the tonsils, uvula and part of your soft palate (roof of your mouth in the back of your throat). Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP) is a surgery that can stop snoring but is probably not helpful in treating sleep apnea. A laser device is used to remove the uvula and part of the soft palate. Because the main symptom of sleep apnea-snoring-is stopped, it is important to have a sleep study before having this surgery. There is also tracheostomy but it is used in severe sleep apnea when a patient is not responding to all other possible treatments.

Hello. I am trying to find out if any one who has had uppp surgery, is expierencing excessive phlegm. My boyfriend had it in Sept 06, and is constantly coughing up phlegm. He says that because there is so uvula the phlegm builds up.. I have a lot of reading and no where does it say that. I am concerned , this is a big issue for both of us. He alreaady was treated with antibiotics for possible sinus infection, any help or thoughts would be appreciated, Kodiak Alaska

Hello There,
I had UPPP surgery years ago (1991-1992) and I have had excessive phlegm ever since. I have been wondering if it was da result of the operation or if I just have post nasal drip all the time, but now that you mention it I'm thiking that it is a result of the surgery. Does your boyfriend also choke easily when he's eating? I choke very easily if I'm not mindful when I eat and especially if I eat something spicy.

I was googling to find out info about the two issues listed in the subject. I had UPPP in Mar 06 (so just months ago). My sleep has improved significantly, I feel rested when i awake and there is no snoring (I'm told). However, I do experience phlegm build up in my throat throughout the night, sometimes thick enough to awaken me (and i have to expectorate). The phlegm is also excessively sticky! So it's hard to cough up! Overall though, this is minor compared to the shape i was in before the surgery (ALWAYS fatigued because my sleep was not restful, and I used, but hated, the CPAP).

As far as choking while eating, i experience this too. I have to be very careful - i think it's because i have to adjust to the larger airway. I have to not talk too much while chewing or whatever, just be conscious of what i'm doing so i don't really choke.

Yes Phlegm is a problem for me too. Had UPPP April 2007. Had lots of phantom sensations also. Now the phlegm is a problem. My throat always feels full of phlegm I can seem to expell by coughing or meds. Sometimes it feels like I have so much of it that I'm kind of gagging on it or having to swallow it.

Phlegm is a very big problem for me at the moment. I had the UPPP in December 2007 and it was a big sucsess. My husband says that he cant believe that I don't snore anymore. But my problem is phlegm. It is thick and sticky and I cant get it down my throught. This results in me being nauseas al the time. I sometimes have to get up at night to throw up. Does anyone have some advice? Please?

I had UPPP surgery when I was 15 (about 11 years ago). My Uvula was swollen to the point where breathing was a serious problem. The Doctor Removed my Tonsils, reduced the size of my uvula and the roof of my mouth. I remember a laser being involved for the surgery and the pain when I woke up was horrific. The surgery was a success though, until recently. I was actually just in the process of researching this condition online, when I came across this site. My Uvula feels like I have a constant chunk of phlegm stuck in the back of my throat, therefore, when outdoors I am constantly spitting, which I'm sure is making it worse. (sorry for the run-ons). I believe dehydration is a key cause, also I have an old Radiator Furnace heating setup at my house, which produces a lot of dry heat. I believe that to be another major cause. Sleeping with a humidifier seems to help sometimes. But not always. Like many of you, I currently have no insurance, so this is starting to become a major concern for me. My main point in all of this is that the UPPP surgery does work, but in my case only for about 10 years. Just my 2-cents.

I just had surgery yesterday. I am 55 yrs old with apnea. I don't know how well the apnea will respond but the surgery was a walk in the park. I did however discover I was allergic to morphine. Good thing I didn't have much pain. Seemed liked a sore throat, never lost my voice or was unable to swallow. The horror stories had me prepared for the worst but the worst was the reaction to the morphine. It was worth it so far. I went to Deaconess Hospital in Spokane Washington and had Dr. Cruz from ENT. I was treated like a queen! :-D I'd do it again!

I have had a chronic cough for about five years. My ENT said it was because my uvula was elongated and was touching the base of my tongue. I had tried lots of other remedies for my cough but to no avail. My ENT recommended having my uvula trimmed. He did not remove my tonsils. I had this done about five days ago -- on 12/22/08 -- along with having my gallbladder removed (for other health reasons). The surgeries were both done in about 1 1/2 hours and I was home within 1 1/2 after waking up.

I had a VERY sore throat following the surgery. Vicodin helped to keep it under control. I am now finished with the Vicdoin and am taking Tylenol 3 with codeine. This is the first day my throat has not been really sore; however, I am having this feeling of something in the back of my throat. The cough did seem to be greatly improved until this feeling started. Now I am constantly trying to clear my throat, which I am sure is not helping. I was curious if anyone else has experienced this side effect to the surgery and how long it lasted.

Thank you.

Hello Seven Seas,

I have not had the Uvula removed, by my ENT is recommending it. My Uvula swells up occasionally for no real reason, it is very inconvenient. I am curious if you feel better or worse without it? I would be curious to see how you feel as you recover.

thank you for your words.

My sleep apnea was so bad I'd hold my breath till I passed out and after a minute or so start breathing again. Then the same thing would happen all over again! My throat wasn't much bigger than a pencil. You shoulda seen the look on the doctor's face when he checked out my throat!! :-) I had the UPPP surgery plus they said my tongue was too long and it was falling back and blocking my throat. To take care of that, they made a cut at the base of the tongue, took a length of suture with a needle at each end, stuck a needle and suture through the tongue and then stuck the needles into each jaw and wrapped the suture around the jaw bone to keep the tongue in it's new position till it healed. Man oh man did my tongue swell up and hurt big time!!! I could barely take my daily meds! I stayed in the hospital for three days and then made em let me come home. They game me some percocet but they weren't any good for me, I just took some tylenol instead.
Now I can get to why I am so happy I found this web site!!!!! :-)
I am experiencing the same post surgical problems you folks are!!!
I had my surgery in 2001 and I choke on everything, even my own saliva! I'll be sitting in my recliner, fall asleep, and wake up choking! When I eat I have to be super careful, especially with grainy foods. I was actually thinking about going to the doctor about this till I found this page. I also have the phlegm problem! Drives me nuts trying to hack the c**p up!
Overall, I'm glad I had the surgery and would recommend it to anyone with bad sleep apnea! I'm in much better shape, lost some weight, sleep better, and feel better.
I want to thank you folks for sharing your personal experiences and thoughts on the subject!!!
Take care everyone and God Bless!!!
Michael

I found this site by doing online research for sleep apnea surgery. I haven't had a sleep study done yet. I have sleep apnea and horrific snoring (my spouse says so). I have been using Snore Relief which is helping greatly. I tried a cpap which a friend loaned to me, as long as I didn't yank it off in the middle of the night it stopped the apnea and snoring, however everyday I'd wake up with it on the floor. Finally, I was going to be sharing a hotel room with some other family members and wanted to be considerate and not snore. I bought the Snore Relief and my spouse doesn't have to elbow me and tell me to breathe anymore, I also don't snore at all or snore intermittently and softly. This spray is supposed to firm up the soft palate and I am figuring that if a spray can help then the surgery will cure it. I do not however want the phlegm! In the meanwhile I will get a sleep study, talk to the doctor and do more searching.

Good luck to everyone.

if you Uvula is touching the back of or tongue what should you have done?

Quote:
I found this site trying to research how long I would need to take my pain medicine after having the UVULA surgery. I just got operated 6 days ago and even though the pain isn't that bad it does hurt after talking more than 10 words. I still have my stitches and find it easier, way easier to eat after taking Hydrocodone for the pain. I didn't realize anything of having to constantly have to clear the phelm feeling like it's constantly running down the back of my throat. I thought it had to do something with still having stitches and having uvula recently operated. I'm starting to worry about it being something im going to always have to do for the rest of my life but oh well. I do NOT regret the uvula operation and tonsil removal. I don't snoar at all anymore so they say, and can feel like I sleep better even though i have to wake up to clearing mucus out of my throat.

Take care everyone and God bless