Hello! My father suffers from sleep apnea. Due to his disrupted sleep he is often very irritable, he can't concentrate and he forgets many things. He took his condition lightly at first but when his condition started to get worsen he consulted his doctor. He advised him to use CPAP device but my father couldn't tolerate it at all. He was anxious and slept worse then ever. His doctor then suggested surgery. Is this common procedure? Is there anyone who had sleep apnea surgery?

Hello! My brother did the nasal air way surgery. This is only one of many surgical options. The type of surgery depends on a patient's specific anatomy and severity of sleep apnea. I hope your father and his doctor considered all the risks, benefits and alternatives to surgery. Surgical procedure usually involves enlarging the airways by removal of soft tissue. I don't know if the surgeon already decided which procedure should be utilized in your father. For example there are: nasal airway surgery, palate implants, tongue reduction uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, advancement, hyoid suspension, maxillomandibular procedures, tracheostomy, bariatric surgery, and combinations of the above.