Hey There,

I was recently diagnosed with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. After trying to use a BiPap/CPAP for a about a year, I could no longer handle it, it would either come off during the middle night while I was sleeping or I would end up snoring through my mouth instead of through the nasal pillows on my my machine. After speaking with my ENT he told me that if "I didn't feel like I could handle wearing the machine for the rest of my life for my apnea" that I should look towards surgery, after a couple weeks we came to the conclusion that I should get a Tonsillectomy, UPPP (uvula reduction) and correct my deviated septum. I underwent surgery on the 26th of July and found that the first day in the hospital was comfortable and that I didn't have any pain. Of course I was on a steady supply of morphine and liquid loratab ;-) I spent the night in the hostipital and returned home the next day. I was taking extremely high doses of the loratab for pain and drinking bottles of water nonstop, I spent the next three days in complete agony until I finally passed out and woke 17 hours later with the worst case of dry throat imaginable. It has now been about 7 days since the surgery and the pain feels like it is ready to dissapear ( thank god) I've now been going 7-8 hours between taking the pain medication prescribed to me by my doctoer and now my throat feels basically like a combination of scalding it and having really bad strept throat. The pain generally only comes now when i swallow or yawn, and it usually is referred pain to my ears. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this or a similar procedure and gone through similar experiences.

My hospital experience was similar to yours, although I was not as fortunate to be able to down water. I can only drink during certain "Good periods." I went to the hospital a day after you did, and got it done on the 27th.

My pain is also only when I yawn or swallow. I get an occasional headache, but it normally goes away. Swallowing is a pain and I can't wait until I am able to eat normally again.

I can definitely tell its getting better. I would gag on any attempt to drink my medicine on the first day and now I can tolerate it briefly.

Don't let your guard down. The scabs may only just be coming off and you may be just in the eye of the storm!

I can't wait until we are through this.

I never really had a problem getting the medicine down it was mainly that every time i tried to down my 10-15cc's of Loratab it would burn like crazy and work for about 30-40 minutes. Have you experienced this as well? Well the burning part i mean.

My throat took a bad turn today. I was able to take some medicine and down an Ensure, though. I think my hunger is getting to me. I tremble a little bit and shake more than I should.

As for the burning, I endured that as well. It was a love-hate kind of thing. I knew that once I downed it, it would work for a little while, provide a little relief, but than I also knew that it would burn!

But sometimes you have to take the lesser of the two pains.. :-/

My throat is to the point now where I can eat closer to normal things. ex. I ate a quiche for lunch and cheese filled pasta for supper without much pain. The main pain from this was the chewing but it was definately worth it to have something other than ice cream or yogurt in my stomach. No major pain today so that's a plus.

I am going in next month for all 3 at one time. The doctor is telling me 7-10 days down time. Says the first 3-4 days I will just sleep. If it's going to be hard to swallow will they not give pain medicine in liquid form?

I work in this industry and am very familiar with the surgeries used to treat sleep apnea. Many of my patient's have gone through all of the above and worse. These surgeries tend to be dreadful to recover from and have a very low success rate in actually treating sleep apnea. In combination with additional treatment they can sometimes be helpful, but they rarely eliminate apnea all together on their own. The only surgery that has a high success rate of actually eliminating apnea is the Maxillomandibular Advancement surgery. Weight loss and nasal surgeries are often helpful in conjunction with other treatments. However, invasive surgery would be my last choice. Obviously the CPAP is extremely difficult to tolerate, but it does work about 98% of the time (if you can tolerate it). If not, go to AADSM.org and find a dentist who can make you an oral appliance. They have a fairly high success rate, especially with mild and moderate apnea. Even severe cases are frequently treated with this simple non-invasive device. Make sure you see a dentist who understands the seriousness of your condition and follows-up with an oral appliance titration sleep study. If then, the CPAP and the oral appliance do not work.....then consider surgery!

can you tell me how long you were off of work to recover from this? i'm in the process of checking out my options and this is one of them. how has it been since? any problems with eating/drinking/swallowing/breathing? how do you sleep?

4/24/2015

I had a Deviated Septum surgery along with a UPPp without having the tonsils or adenoids removed. It was done in a same-day surgery center so I got to go home that night. I too felt like wuss. How can it hurt soooooooooo badly! I am now on day 12 and still have pain. At least I can take Advil now. I was oked to take this at my day 10 post op visit. Glad to be off of the Oxy. My problem now is I don't want to eat out of fear which is making me weak. My husband is making me shakes of Ensure, Ice Cream & Eggs in the blender. Not Bad! I have no regrets as I can breathe!!! As for the pain, this too shall pass.