Hi, I have a problem with my family. I have tried to raise my children properly. My husband was never too eager to help with their upbringing, so I had to do everything by myself. When I was younger doing chores was not a problem for me. Now I can not manage everything on my own and no one in my family offers to help. I know that my husband was never a fan of household duties, but I had no idea that I have raised such selfish children. Is there something I can do to solve this family problem?

I watch a lot of Dr. Phil & The Nanny shows. As the other replyer said. Have a family meeting. The past is the past. Start with you saying your family needs to pitch in and all do their share. Make a chart of chores and talk about what the punshisment will be if the chores are not done, like no TV, phone, car, etc. (age appro.) Even your husband has his chores, may it be mowing the lawn with/without help from older kids, washing cars or taking them to be washed. When my son was in High School, I taught him to wash his own clothes. I praised him when he did his chores and helped him when they were not right to do them again...not me doing it because I was too tired after working all day to take the time to show him. My Mom did not teach me to cook and I had one class of homemic. in High School to go on when I got married. It is you & your husband job to get them ready for living on their own. Kids that do not learn self suffinacentacy live at home way too long or move back often.
Sorry about all the misspelled words). Good Luck!

Hi, I am afraid that you have yourself to blame for the problems in your family. First of all, you have no communication with your husband. You should have talked to him years ago. It takes both a father and a mother to raise children. While your children grew up, they learned from you two. It did not matter what you said to them, the actions were louder than words. Now you are only seeing the results of your mistakes. I don't know if you can break this pattern, but you have nothing to lose if you try. Gather your family members and explain how you feel. Do not try to lay all the blame on them. After all, it was your doing that led you to this point as well. Talk about the changes that you would like to make in your family's relationships. I am positive that if you explain your desires rationally everything will come to its place.