My family member is addicted to ambien and Loratab 10 and has been for about 8 to 9 years so she has confessed today. Honestly, I had seen some of the signs but did not know the severity due to the fact that she lives 2 hrs. and 30 mins. away. We each have very busy lives with young children and therefore don't get to see each other as much as we used to. She has a wonderful husband who cares very much. She is blaming him with so much but I know that she learned the addiction from her mother and her mother did even show for the birth of her twins. How in the world does a mother not be there for her child, when she could if she her self could have gotten the help she needed several years ago. Her husband, the father, is the enabler and just see to it that she gets her drugs. I don't want this to continue into another generation. Need help.

Your family member just checked into rehab, congratulations. My daughter is waiting for a bed as she sits in jail. Drug addiction is not passed down from generation to generation. I never did any type of elicit drug ever. My parents nor their parents before them. I have 5 children, she is #3. The two before her were fine and the two after her are fine as well. It's up to the individual, but once you start, the addiction will swallow you. She did not learn the addiction from her mom. I am sure her mother did not sit her down and show her how to do it. She saw it happening and decided to try it. The first thing a counselor will tell you is that no one else is to blame for this problem. That is what these addicts try to do, pass the buck, never wanting to admit their own problems. But they eventually do with proper therapy and rehabilitation.
Just so you don't get your hopes up. She may check herself right back out, she may eventually have to check back in. Lots of times, the first crack at rehab doesn't work, nor the second or the third. These people have got to hit their bottom and only they can make themselves get better. They can not do it for their children or their husband or their parents, it has to be strictly for themselves. Until she is 100% ready to finally admit defeat, this could be a long ride.
For everyones sake, i sincerely hope that she is on the road to recovery.