Hi, I have been experiencing twitching in my arms for about three weeks now. My doctor said that it’s probably a benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), and that it’s related to my anxiety. Is it possible that anxiety could cause such a reaction in the body?

Oh, it’s very possible! People don’t realize how much a state of mind can affect our body. Fasciculations are only one of many possible consequences. Benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS) is a neurological condition that causes twitching in any voluntary muscle group. In most cases, those muscle groups are arms, legs, and feet. Patients who suffer from BSP, have pain, muscle cramping and exercise intolerance. It is very common that patients who suffer from benign fasciculation syndrome think that they have also amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). However, this isn’t right because the main syndrome of ALS is weakness, which BFS patients don’t experience. About what you said in the beginning about being anxious, it’s well known that BFS is related with the patient's level of anxiety.

I'm not sure if BFS is the result or the cause of anxiety, but my suspicion (based on what I've read and what I've experienced) is that both may be true.

In any case, anxiety is commonly described as a symptom of BFS.

You can learn more about Benign Fasciculation Syndrome here:

Overviews:
answers.com/topic/benign-fasciculation-syndrome
wrongdiagnosis.com/b/benign_fasciculation_syndrome/intro.htm
steadyhealth.com/articles/Benign_Fasciculation_Syndrome__BFS__Fact_Sheet_a346_f42.html

Hope this helps!

**edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use