Hi, my daughter is experiencing muscle twitching in her leg, and my friend told me that it could be a neurological disorder called BFS. This name doesn’t mean much to me and I could really use some explanation and advice. Thanks!

Hi, BFS is benign fasciculation syndrome that causes twitching in voluntary muscle groups, and it’s most common in the arms, legs, feet and even eyelids. It doesn’t mean that your daughter has BFS, it could be some other reason for muscle twiching. She has to visit a doctor and to be examined. Becide twitching, there are some other symptoms of benign fasciculation syndrome, such as pain, exercise intolerance, muscle cramping or fatigue. Causes for this disorder can be spinal injury, ALS or muscular dystrophy. So if your daughter didn’t experience any of these things, she probably doesn’t have BFS. Maybe she is anxious. Anxiety can cause many troubles in our muscles, and we don’t even realise how much can state of mind affect our body. The best way to be shore what is wrong with your daughter is to send her to electromyography(EMG).