For the last three weeks I have been suffering from constant eyelid twitching. It is so annoying as I can’t seem to stop it. I move my eyes and eyelids, it goes away but starts again soon after. At first I though it was due to tiredness as I have been working real hard lately but I got really worried since it is not going away. I did some reading and I learned that these are symptoms of ALS and multiple sclerosis and I went straight to the doc. He performed an EMG, which came back normal and he said it was benign fasciculation syndrome. I am very worried as I have never heard of this disease and am afraid that the doc could be misdiagnosing me. Does anybody knows anything about BFS? Any info is appreciated!

Well, I know that benign fasciculation syndrome may occur due to over exertion. Anxiety goes along with BFS and I can see that you are becoming anxious. If EMG showed normal, then it is probably not ALS. It is not known what causes BFS because it is not really known what BFS is. There are speculations about BFS being a motor-nerves disease or a muscle disease. The main course of treatment is to rest, cut down on stress and you may get some drugs to try to reduce the twitching. You may try with these simple steps and if they don’t work in some time, then you may suspect something else.

I have had BF for over 19 years! It started about 2 months after the birth of my last child - one night when my face twitched. I panicked and for the next several days thought I must be dying - however, after going from doctor to doctor to doctor, I was reassured that all I had were muscle twitches. To this day, I have them - sometimes in my thighs, sometimes in my arms, my butt, my eyelids, etc. I note that I may have a constant flutter somewhere for a few days at a time and then it goes away and reappears in another spot. I am an anxious person and I've always thought stress had a lot to do with it. I really don't care anymore. Sometimes I do get muscle pain with them but that goes away before the twitch does. I can't think of an area on my body where this has not happened. Do not be afraid. I don't know what causes it but I am fine!

Just want to say thanks for your comments . This can be a very scary not to mention confusing disorder. or disease to live with. I to have suffered many years with BFS and back 20 years there was not to much known about it. I will say this though I have always been a pretty nervous person and when symptoms started happening to me i started freaking out, thinking i was dying . I had test after test after test and the symptoms were so random so many twitches all over my body from head to toe no kidding I just knew the Docs were missing somthing so i never really believed them when they said i was okay that they gave me a clean bill of health. Hard to believe when you are having so many diffrent physical symptoms muscle pain body aches twithes in your calves,thighs butt arms stomach there was not any place on my body i did not have them. I had so many test even 2 lumbar punctures in my spine and they came back normal. It was still hard to believe that I did not have a life threating disease I got myself in such a tizzy that my hair started falling out and i started to drop wheight like crazy,I isolated myself from family and friends and fell into a severe state of deppresion not ony that I started having major panic attacks, I still to this day struggle with high anxiety and now mild deppresion. I was eventually hospitalized not because of the BFS but because I was making myself crazy!!!! Litterally, my familyput me in a psych ward I eventually recieved psychiatric counciling was put on a few diffrent medications and surrendered my life to the lord. Within a few months my symptoms were less and less but through the years ive had many tragdies in my life and it seems that when I have alot of stress or anxiety in my life these symptoms come back with avendgence!!!! It is a hard thing to deal with for me even till this day because your mind starts to play tricks on you and the more you let it get toyou emotionally the worse your symptoms becomeand the more frequent they happen. The biggest lesson I have learned from this experience is that no matter what I am going through in my Life no matter how crappy Im feeling God is with me through the good bad and ugly. and i finnally came to relize that in fact if it happened that I did have a more serious disease I would learn to live with it the best I could there are alot of new therapies out there now a days to help people stay healthier for longer!!! I believe your mind and your attitude regarding our phsical body has alot to do with the success of any thing we do in this life as a matter a fact just look at Montel Willams he has had M.S. for years and look at what a inspiration he is to so many people around the world. I sure would love to have the chance to sit and talk with him for a while also I just recently learned of a man who goes to my same doc office and he has had MS for 70 years and is still doing good hes got his good days and hes got his bad days but the Lord has allowed him to live to the ripe old of age now of 90. I know that every one is diffrent and certain circumstances affects diffrent people in diffrent ways but I would just like to encourage anyone out there that is going through some difficult times weather it be medical emotinal, financial, or spiritual, to just do your best to have a positive attitude, meditate on Gods word believe in your heart he wants to heal you and patiently wait for a miracle in your life. Give thanks everyday that your here and that the Lord has blessed you with another day . Try to make it the best you can because none of us are ever guaranteed a tommorow.!!!!!!!!!

Oral magnesium and epsom salt baths are commonly reported to be helpful with the type of fasciculation (involuntary muscle twitching) you are describing.

**edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

Hope this helps!

For the last 6 months or so, I've been experiencing random involuntary muscle twitching. Just a single twitch here another one there. It affects my thighs, butt, arms, shoulders, neck, hands, pretty much any where there is a muscle. I've had no pain or muscle weakness.

I'd been having problems sleeping, sometimes with restless legs, sometimes just not being able to shut my brain down. Sometimes I got right off to sleep, but then would wake in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep. Sometimes I just had trouble falling asleep. So, my doctor prescribed Requip. The dosing instructions had me gradually increase over time.

The first night I had a full dose, things went haywire. I had non-stop random muscle twitching and began having auditory hallucinations. I don't think I slept at all that night. I called the doctors office the next day and was told to gradually decrease the dosage just as I'd gradually increased it. The muscle twitching diminished but never completely went away. To this day, I still have the twitching. It'll happen sometimes 6-12 times in an hour and never in the same place twice in a row. The larger muscles seem to have the most occurrences.

I haven't asked the doctor about this since all my searches on the internet where involuntary muscle twitching was a symptom also listed symptoms I don't have, such as weakness or pain (or both). Still, there's a part of me that's concerned that this might be the precursor to a more serious illness.

I have eye lid fasciculations. It is annoying and when in a public place people think I'm trying to pick them up.

I also have tremors when I go to sleep and a constant itchy heel.

The neurologists can't find what is wrong with me.