Hi, I am 28 years old and I am concerned about twitching in my upper abdominal area. I have no idea what is causing this condition, or how should I treat it. Is there anyone who has similar problems or just an idea what could be the reason for this?

Hello, three years ago I felt an upper abdominal twitching for the first time. I went to doctor, he examined me and said that there was nothing wrong with me. I went home and thought the twitching will disappear, but it didn’t. Then I realized what was the problem. It was a time when I was trying to lose some weight, and I did lot of exercises for a flatter stomach. And when I say lot of exercises- I mean it! I decided to cut down the time I was spending in the gym, and to start taking magnesium. Upper abdominal area twitching was gone, and I never had the same problem again. However, in your case something else could be causing twitching in abdominal area, and sooner you find out what it is, the better.

i have had the same abdominal twitching you describe for over a month and have been to many doctors who all say there is nothing wrong with me but i think other wise what is happeningto me ???

I'm 20 years old. I went to the clinic today regarding the same symptom. My excellent canadian doctors said if it is lower than your rib cage it is probably just a stress or anxiety related muscle spasm, if it is inside your chest wall, its probably a heart palpatation, however this is usually acompanied by pain, shortness of breath, dizzyness and vomiting. Try getting some exercise, try not to smoke if you do.

Check your pulse as you are getting the feeling, if your pulse is normal it is probably NOT a heart palpataion.

I work in the health food field and have found through years of experience that muscle twitches are common if you are lacking magnesium and or potassium. If you take a magnesium and potassium supplement for a month the twitching should go away. Hope this helps. I think it is definitely worth a try.

I've been having the same problem lately,however I already take a magnesium supplement and a good multi vitamin and i don't work out much anymore. I've been having twitching and sometimes pain in my left upper abdomin right at the edge of the rib cage starting at about the midclavicular line and moving laterally about 2 inches. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is - honestly it feels like when i was about 5 months pregnant and the baby was kicking - but I am NOT pregnant and it is in the wrong spot for that anyway.
anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Oh! I am so glad to hear someone else has this! It started 6 months ago, was put on a probiotic and OTC Prilosec. I did fine up until a couple of months ago,when it came back (and it can feel like a baby kicking).
I know that magnesium helps with muscles, and I'm wondering if that isn't it.
My gastroenterologist is doing more tests - I hope he doesn't find anything. I would like it to be nerves, as this has been a bad year.
This is one time, after testing, that I would gladly accept that it was my nerves.
But it sure does drive me crazy when it starts!

Thanks.

Posted: 04/21/08 - 16:49 Post subject: upper ab twitching

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

I ASO HAVE THE ABD TWITCHES IT STARTES ABOUT 12:30 AND GOES ALL DAY, MOSTLY WHEN I'M SITTING OR LEANING OVER SOMETHING...... JUST LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE I'M CLUELESS BUT I'M ALSO OVER WEIGHT AND ANYONE WHO'S OVER WEIGHT KNOW'S THE DR'S USUALLY ALWAYS POINTS THAT OUT TO BE THE PROBLUM SO OF COURSE THATS WHAT HE ASSUMED IT WAS BUT IT'S SO ANOYING!!!! IT DOESN'T HURT JUST GETS OLD QUICK...... IT REALLY LOOKES LIKE A BABY KICKING AND THATS WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND.......

I've had this for the past few months too. Mine happens at very random times and I can't pinpoint what is causing it at all. I actually went to the ER for this. I described the pulsing feeling, almost like a baby kicking in my upper abdomen, below my ribs. They took an X-ray (I don't know why) and told me it was just a muscle spasm. Total waste of time and money but I was worried about it. Does anyone have an explanation for this twitch?
I guess I'll try taking magnesium.

I'm 17 years old and have these muscle spasms, so i think, in my right upper side of my rib cage just twitches for hours..mostly when im sitting or laying down, im not over weight and dont excercise much, i think anxiety is the cause though. but can anyone tell me if this magnesium stuff works or if i should be taking it?

Hi ,
I started to have the twitches in my belly - like baby kicking - about 2 weeks ago. I have several twitches per day in my legs, arms and feet.
Also some in my neck and face. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 3 years ago. Have seen my doc for this- he shrugged it off.

I had two nurses tell me the abdominal twitching was trapped gas. I usually eat yogurt to keep the lower GI running properly due to problems associated with the removal of my gall bladder. I had quit eating yogurt for a couple of weeks, and that's when the twitching began. Two days back on the yogurt ended my twitching.

Ugh!! I have the same thing (started about 3 weeks ago) and I am already taking the vitamin supplements. I have been having more then the usual gas, but it doesn't seem to be at the same times as the twitching. It is making me crazy so I have made an appt with my doc.

Well my doc thinks it's my gall bladder, got ultra sound today so we'll see in a couple of days if that is it!!