Hi, my very good friend on the job told me that she is very upset because of her son. She noticed than something wasn't alright with his speech and that he can't understand her properly. When she took him to the doctor he told her he is suspecting on Landau Kleffner syndrome. I would like to know something more about it.

Hi, I really hope that doctor is wrong because landau kleffner syndrome presents neurological disorder where person is not able to speak and understand spoken language. However problems which your friend has noticed may be caused by auditive problems too. I think it is too early to make conclusions and it is the best to wait results.

L-K is a form of epilepsy. It affects the brain's frontal lobes. In this part of the brain, speech and emotions are processed. Epilepsy causes the brain's neurons to mis-fire, hence the inability to speak or seem autisic emotionally. L-K can be confirmed through an EEG test. It will require a 24-hr test requiring the patient to be wired from the brain to a portable device that records the seizures and in what part of the brain they are occurring. There is medication for the seizures, but brain damage can be permanent. Good news, many children begin speaking again once they reach puberty. I hope after these many years since your post, that your friend's child is healthy and well.