Please, tell me more about drug Dilatin. A friend of mine is epileptic and dilatin controls her disease, so she doesn’t have symptoms. But her doctor suggested her to use contraceptives. Why is it unsafe to be pregnant when you use dilatin?

Dilatin is phenytoin, an anticonvulsive drug. It is very utilize in epilepsy. Its side effects on fetus arevery severe. I would think twice and possibly adopt baby. But, the risk is really big. I know that baby can be born with heart defects, intellectual difficulties, growth deficiency. Dilatin has teratogenic effects, no doubts about it.
But there is no safe antiepileptic.

I had three health children and was on dilatin through my pregnacy, i did have a seizure giving birth with one off them, But besides that they are now all adults and educated professionals. Yes it was not easy, raising them at a time I then hand more seizures , but not alot I did really wel considering the stress of the no support of family and imature husband.
So I dont know why people say you can not have children that is ssssssssssss wrong.