Hello! My friend has a three years old son. He is very sweet child. His development was completely normal till recently. My friend noticed he forgot some words he had known before and he had changed his behavior. It looks like he isn’t developing mentally any more. He came back from the doctor’s office today and told me his diagnose is Heller’s syndrome. What is Heller's syndrome?

Hello! Heller’s syndrome is a childhood disintegrative disorder that includes normal development of age-appropriate verbal and nonverbal communication, social relationships, motor and self-care for at least first two years of life. After that a significant loss of previously acquired or learned skills is noticed. There's no cure for childhood disintegrative disorder and the treatment is the same as for autism.

Did he have any shots recently?

Hallo,
If I am not mistaking Heller's syndrome is also called Childhood disintegrative disorder. This is a different class of autism and it occurs in children who have had previously normal development who then appear to regress. This condition is very rare and it is unfortunate that your friend’s son is having problems like this. I think that this is managed similar as autism but there are some medication that can help with condition as well. Has your friend noticed any epilepsy attacks in his son? Loss of skills often reaches a plateau and then there may be some limited improvement. So as you can see this can be managed. I hope this helped you a bit.