I have a daughter who has flu very often. First, she starts to complain about headaches, and then I know there is something wrong. When I take her to the doctor, he confirms she has fever, and sometimes sinus problems. I know flu is caused by some microorganism, but that is all. Since I am so commonly in contact with it, I would like to know more about flu.

Flu is also called the influenza. That is infection, which may cause fever, chills, cough, body aches, headaches, and sometimes sinus problems. The flu is caused by the influenza virus. This virus is a microorganism, which means it is so small that you cannot see it without a strong microscope. This virus gets around in little drops that spray out of an infected person's mouth and nose when he or she sneezes or coughs. You can catch the flu from someone who has the flu if you breathe in some of those flu-infected drops. For most people, the flu is drag, but usually it goes away in a week or two. Anyone who's at risk of getting really sick, like your daughter, needs to get a flu shot, or vaccine. Flu vaccines are usually given in the fall, before flu season starts and most people starts to be infected. Flu season means the months of the year when many people have the flu so it is easy to catch it, usually from November until April.