I know that measles are also called rubeola, because my sister has it. That is a highly contagious respiratory infection caused by a virus. Her doctor said it causes a skin rash and flu-like symptoms. However, I have noticed she has fever, cough, and runny nose beside skin rash. Can you tell me if those are typical measles symptoms, or that is something else?

Since measles is caused by a virus, symptoms should go away in a while. It happens without medical treatment once the virus has run its course. However, while she is sick, it is important to make sure that she has plenty of fluids and rest. As well, keep her from spreading the infection to others. While measles is probably best known for the full-body rash that it causes, the first symptoms of the infection are usually something more but rash. Those symptoms occur as hacking cough, runny nose, high fever, and watery red eyes, as your sister probably experienced. Another marker of measles is Koplik's spots, small red spots with blue-white centers that appear inside the mouth of patient. The measles rash typically has a red or reddish brown blotchy appearance. Usually it first shows up on the forehead, then spreads downward over the face, neck, and body, then down to the feet. It is important to know that measles is highly contagious. You have to understand that when someone with measles sneezes or coughs, he or she can spread virus droplets through the air and infect others. Most of the time, the cases of measles occur in settings where there are many kids.

I am a female 34 yrs old. I had chicken pox when I was little but not measles. Well, effective Monday I woke with (pinkish swollen eyelid)was told conjunctivitious and on Tuesday I had a rash on my torso.

The point of this story is that my measles started on my torso not head/face. It has been three days and the measles have spred only to neck area. I dont have any on face, buttocks or legs. I havent been around any children or adults that have, no fever, no cough, or no runny nose.

My question is how did I contract it? Why isnt the rash covering my entire body? How many times can you get the measles?

Thanks.

Measles are a terrible thing to deal with. Especially when you loose control over your bowels. That happens 99% of the time in the 2nd week of the virus. this happened to me last week while I was out eating diner with the family at a very nice restaurant here in Frisco, Tx. The bad thing was the infection I got afterwords. I had apparently scratched some of the measles that resided in my crack, and poop got compacted into them. I got gain green on my brown ass!

Anyway, to the dude (or chick) above me in the last post I don't think you have the measles. Sounds like you have the HIV on your hang-down.

Measles is a serious viral illness. It is characterized by a fever (as high as 105°F) and malaise, cough, nasal inflammation, and pink eye, followed by a diffuse rash. The rash usually appears about 14 days after a person is exposed and starts on the head, spreading to the trunk then to the lower extremities. Patients are considered to be contagious from 4 days before to 4 days after the rash appears. Of note, sometimes people with weak immune systems do not develop the rash.

I am vaccinated and so are my both children. I believe in herd immunity. But my sister-in-law and her child are not vaccinated. When her son had first symptoms of measles, I advised her immediately call the doctor. Luckily they have Doctor's Urgent Care walk-in clinic in the area where they live, and they have prescribed the right treatment.