My daughter started having problems in vaginal area - she complained of painful urination and of blisters and sores. She is diagnosed with genital herpes (viral culture test is done, so it’s 100% sure that it is HSV). I am shocked because she is only 15 and she is still a virgin. I thought herpes virus was transmitted only during an intercourse. How is this possible?

The usual way of getting herpes is during an intercourse. There is no great risk of catching the virus through objects such as soaps, towels, clothes, bed sheets, toilet seats etc. The reason is simply the fact that the herpes virus is not likely to survive long after leaving the body of an infected person. However, virus can survive for several minutes in drops of urine and one of the possible scenarios for getting infected without an intercourse is to come in touch with the urine with a part of your body with cuts, sores or other skin changes. You must also be aware that there are numerous ways of performing sexual activities without penetration, so one of the possible scenarios is getting herpes via oral sex. Your daughter perhaps participated in oral sex as a recipient and if her partner had oral herpes he/she might have transmitted your daughter the virus. It is also possible that your daughter was touching her partner’s penis with her vaginal area during foreplay and this is enough to catch the virus, even without the intercourse itself (the penetration). The fact that your daughter is still a virgin does not necessarily mean that she does not participate in sexual activities at all. So, in addition to her therapy, she must be given additional explanations and information on STDs.

U can also get herpies that are passed down from someone in ur family, so it's not the daughters fault jeez, I feel sorry for her, its very uncomfortable!! HAVE A HEART!!

i am not insisting that your daughter is "sexually active" but the term also includes oral sex, a lot of people dont know that HSV1 and HSV2 can be passed from mouth to genitals and visa versa. altho usually HSV1 affects mouth and face and HSV2 affects genitals. just keep goggling because the is a lot of information out there. im sorry about your daughter tho you should let her go online and read other stories of teens dealing with this virus to help her cope.

sounds like shes not a virgin affter all she probably jus doesnt want u too kno thas jus my opinion tho

I was wondering if you can catch herpes from a person that doesn't have it

now that jus dont make no sense at all

I meant about it "appearing" I guess I didn't word it correctly. What I meant was is it possible to "appear" if two partners didn't have it- like can you catch it from other things besides sex

thanks for the pointless response!!

Yes you can...if you have oral sex and your partner or yourself have a cold sore you can pass on type 1..it happened to me...can happen to you.

Be careful people.

Direct skin-to-skin contact can spread herpes. This includes touching, kissing, and sexual contact (vaginal, anal, and oral). Moist areas of the mouth, throat, anus, vulva, vagina, and the eyes are very easily infected. Skin can be infected if it is cut, chafed, burned, or has a rash or other sores. Herpes can be passed from one partner to another, or from one part of your own body to another part. If one partner has oral cold sores, he/she can pass on the virus during oral sex and cause genital herpes. Herpes is most easily spread when there are open sores. It can also be spread before the blisters actually form. It is least easily spread when the sores have healed, the scabs have fallen off, and the skin is normal again. It is very unlikely that herpes is spread by toilet seats, swimming pools, bathtubs, whirlpools, or moist towels. An infected mother can pass the virus to her baby during or after childbirth.

Everyone reading this must know that even without any visible outbreak, herpes can still be shedding its cells, which means it is contagious without anyone being able to visibly tell. Read up on "viral shedding" off of Google to see the %'age of how frequently Herpes can be shedding without visible symptoms. This includes anywhere on your body.

Your own herpes can infect even more nerves in your body. Do enough research to realize that HSV1 and HSV2 infect the entire nerve, all the way back to your spine. Having one infected nerve is enough. Infecting more nerves is definitely possible. So if you say "I already have herpes", you really need to know which nerve it is and how to keep yourself, and others, from contracting herpes in more nerves throughout the body.

I had a test done recently. When the nurse called she said I had ben exposed but inactive. I was confused and worried. When I saw the Dr. last week, he said if you have had cold sores, then you have herpes in your system. He said 85% of the world has herpes, and you could get it from kissing your grandmother. I can't remember the last time I had a cold sore. But I take Advair (inhaled steroid) albuterol, Sudafed, multi vitamin, Ambien, Xanax, Bupropion, Thyroid med., and a slew of other vitamins twice a day for the last ten years for COPD & depression. I had Typhoid Fever the summer before 1st grade, early sixties. But my body doesn't react to certain things. Cocaine doesn't effect me( long time ago), I guess everyone's system is immune to certain things. But back then I had all the childhood diseases that they vaccinate for today. mumps, measles, etc.. I need to get a shingles vaccination, but with insurance it's $60.00. many years ago I had gohneria , Took penicillin and the outward signs cleared up, then my ankle got swollen. It was a strain that would settle into a joint. I was in the hospital with a penicillin drip for 4 days.

This is a similar case to mine (me being the teen). I was also 15 and virgin - even now- and had never been touched in anyway, i don't have type 1 (oral herpes) and i was shocked, to say the least when i found out. I assure you it is possible. Although i assured the doc i am an absolute virgin, but he was hesitant to believe me (bastard). The only other explanation that was proposed was that about a month-2 months before i found the H, i went to france with a friend and spent alot of time in the pool and had used public toilets. They said it is possible that i could have contracted it through toilet seat, or bacteria in the pool i was in. However i still don't know for sure how i got it. But i do ask, PLEASE believe her if she said she is a virgin! i know i hated the doubt from doctors myself. Hope this helped - although it is a late response.

Thank you for sharing. I am a virgin (No one besides a gloved doctor has ever touched my genitals), and just was (visually) diagnosed with genital herpes. I'm kind of freaked out, and I'm also wondering whether the doctor believed me. And all the information online seems to say that there is not really other ways to get herpes. Not that I want it to be something easily spread, but I'm glad I'm not alone in this feeling.

It somehow makes it easier to deal with, knowing others are in the same boat. I don't know how you feel about this shitty deal but I think it helps considering this: Yes sometimes I feel like absolute dirt, and yes people are going to make assumptions about me. But, this thing has happened its always going to be here - It is NOT me. What I'm planning is if I expect someone to accept me with the "h" then I have to bloody well accept this pain in vag too (sorry to be gross). I pretty much have read up about every sing bit of info available. When I have to tell someone about it I can back myself up with the facts as I can almost garuntee the person will only be aware of the stigma attached to it. At least armed with facts and a positive attitude, I can expect they can respect my point. If not - f**k'em. Again sorry to be blunt.