Anyone really afraid of the swine flu? Do you think it is more the media trying to scare us or do you really think this is an epidemic to be scared of? I heard that 36,000 people a year die from complications to influenza anyway and we don't hear about that on the news. Swine flu has a stranger name, so do you think that is why it is getting at least some attention? Do share, I am curious as to what you believe.

I think swine flu originated from China where people and pigs often cohabitated within the same household. No, I am not afraid of the swine flu, or flu in general.

I agree!!!

What's the big deal. Every year we get told that people are dying from the flu. The names just change. I think that the term "swine" is a bit nastier than what we usually hear, so perhaps that's the issue. Broadcasters need news items that will hook people. Once again, I think we're being victimized by people who are driven by the love of money. The terms money and ratings can be used interchangably here. It's such a shame. Unfortunately, our elderly; our young mothers, and other vulnerable groups are held hostage by these inflated reports. It's the flu. The prevention/protection methods are the same. The care is the same, and the final stats will probably be the same as every flu that comes along every year. Let's not panic. Enjoy live. Don't reflect on the what ifs.

While flu is not something to be afraid of, it is something to be concerned about. The primary reason is the potential for many more deaths and serious illnesses than current forms of the flu may cause. This form is a new mutation for which there is no natural resistance or anti-viral medications. Without flu shots to mediate and curtail the spread of the virus it could very well kill millions, not thousands of people.

Does the press over-hype the problem. Perhaps, to a degree. But the press is also doing two important things by doing so. First, they are making people aware of the potential seriousness of the illness. Second they are educating the public which is always a good thing.

I have had a cold for almost a week now, all upper stuff, but with no temp.
My cough feels bad and it burns my chest when i do. I am sort of afraid to be around the fam. If i don't feel better in a few days, i will see my doctor.
I have not really gone any where different in the past few weeks. A few trips into town, which is about 10 miles up the road, typical stuff. I have hand sanitizer in my purse as well as the car and i wash my hands all the time. I even wipe the handle of the shopping cart down!!
I hope it's just a spring cold, they can hang on forever. :'(

Hi:
I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad. Here's a consideration.....Pneumonia can creep up on you and it can be deadly...Especially viral pneumonia. Just be careful. I'm not trying scare you, I just think it's good to be informed. You said that you don't have a fever, and that's good. However a low-grade fever may be hard to detect on home devices and some difficult infections carry a low-grade fever. Just be careful. It's been a week already and you haven't improved, please see a doctor. It's good that you're being so considerate of your family members. I'm sure they appreciate it. Take care...and call a doctor's office to speak with a nurse. Tell her the time frame and your symptoms. Take care of yourself. I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

I'm alittle afraid of the "swine flu" cuz I heard about all the people dieing from it. I think what got me afraid of it is when I heard about that baby that died from it. I've got a one year old and I am terrified of him catching it. I got so much hand santizer its unrealy. So yes I am afraid of the swine flu. (did it realy come from pigs?)

they only make such a big deal about it, because it's 'china'. even with that last influenza 'bird flu', what '1 in a billion' people die from it? perhaps you'll find yourself more chance in winning a lottery than catching this so-called 'swine flu' ;-) lol