For decades Sheila Kaye was a smoker and her lungs were in poor condition. When doctors discovered a small tumor on one of her lungs, they were unable to operate.
But surgeons at Harefield Hospital in Middlesex chose Sheila, aged 58, for their innovative 'freeze therapy'. Using a special probe, the doctors freeze tumors at temperatures of -190°C. The tumor turns into an ice ball, and over the next three to six months it disintegrates.
Sheila says this pioneering treatment gave her a second chance.
"I am very lucky to be alive. I was lucky that they spotted the cancer and lucky to get the treatment.
Four months later Sheila feels fully recovered, and the initial signs are that the cryosurgery has worked.
Sheila, who has four adult daughters as well as an eight-year-old son, said she now wants to warn everyone she sees of the dangers of smoking.
"I just want to tell everyone to stop and say don't do it. It is just not worth the risk”.
Mr Maiwand said that the early results were very promising, but that more cases would need to be done for a fully evaluated study.
"Over the last few years other medical centres have been using cryosurgery for treating skin cancers and cancers of the liver and prostate and a lot of clinical research has shown that low temperatures can treat cancers effectively”.