I heard when my mom was talking on the phone with her sister today. My aunt told her that she is about to have a cryosurgery. I also heard that she doesn’t want to say anything to her children, I suppose that included me as well, so that they wouldn’t worry. What is this cryosurgery for? Is it something so dangerous when they don’t want to tell us? Thank you!

I suppose there was a reason you were not supposed to hear this but as you already have, I may as well explain it to you. Cryosurgery is the use of extremely cold temperatures to freeze and destroy abnormal tissues. It is used to treat pre-cancerous tumors, and to control bleeding. It is also used to remove abnormal tissue of the cervix, which is the lower part of the uterus. After the cryosurgery, a pap smear or biopsy is usually done to ensure that the procedure was successful in killing abnormal tissue.