Does cryo freezing hurt? and how bad?
(for me and everyone wondering about cryo-freezing vs aldara treatement for molluscum)

I am a healthly male 26 I have 8 molluscum bumps on my pelvis and lower stomach. One is at the very base of the penis (but not on the penis, good thing I use condoms!!!)

I have the option of getting cryo-freezing but I have questions my doctor is not so clear about.

How painful is cryofreezing? Like getting an injection? a deep cut? wisdom teeth removed pain? worse?

Seems that the aldara treatement is almost not painful, but should be put directly on the bump and *not in the area around. However this method *could take 3 months? The real question I have about Aldara: when can I have sex again if I use it? any tips from pass users?

I was diagnosed with MC on December 6th, had my last freeze treatment on January 2nd. I have been getting weekly inspections by a Dermatologist ever since January 2nd and have had no new MC bumps (today is March 2nd). One dermatologist said that I was no longer contagious and the other dermatologist told me to wait three months. I am choosing to wait three months (maybe longer) until I feel emotionally ready to be intimate. Listed below are some things I recommend (I'm not a doctor - just someone who had a bad experience).

1. Do not freak out. I know that WebMd and several internet sources say that MC can last up to two years-but both of my dermatologists tell me that a 2 year duration can most likely be reduced with active treatment. I live in a city-and one doctor told me that he sees MC about once a month and that in his experience it is about a 1 to 3 month problem. That sounded short to me...but his time span has been accurate with my experience (so far...i hope they do not come back). Again, it varies for each person.

2. No alcohol (alcohol weakens the immune system-your immune system needs to be strong to fight off the virus).

3. Eat healthy. Avoid fast food. Drink plenty of water. I took vitamin c supplements, flax seed oil, and zinc.

4. Do not re-use bath towels. I actually bought a ton of paper towels and dried myself off with paper towels after showering to reduce the likelihood of auto-innoculation. Also, when examining myself for new molluscum, I put on medical gloves. Why risk getting the virus on your hands or finger nails when medical gloves are so cheap?

5. I used a combination of freezing, aldara (an immune stimulant), and zymaderm (a homeopathic remedy I bought over the internet). All three seemed to work. Aldara made my skin really dry and flakey. Skin actually peeled off in big flakes. Once I went off the Aldara, I had an "Id Immune Reaction"...I broke out in hives with about 200 bumps all over my body over the course of about 48 hours. The bumps were biopsied and came back as dermatitis. Both dermatologists said that my immune system went overboard and got over stimulated from the Aldara. All of the reaction bumps went away in about a week and left no scars/marks...it was crazy.

6. Zymaderm. Both of my doctors did not like me trying something over the internet--but I gave it a shot. The main reason that I tried Zymaderm was because I was able to get in touch with three people who had given it a positive review at amazon.com. Talking to them really lifted my spirits b/c they had gotten over MC and I realised that there was some hope. Zymaderm was great at getting rid of the MC that popped up in the middle of freezing sessions. Putting zymaderm on the MC and then putting medical tape on top of the MC after the zymaderm made the process go extremely fast. I do not work for zymaderm. Honestly, the stuff really worked for me--MC bumps went away about two-three weeks after treatment started.

7. Say your prayers and hope for the best.

If anyone wants to talk about their MC experience-please post your email address. I'm happy to talk. Shortly after I was diagnosed, I talked with a few people who had MC and got through it. Talking to these guys helped me tremendously.

Hi Guest,

Please email me at ****** as I'm about to purchase zymaderm for my 3 year old son who has molluscum. Thanks.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I was diagnosed with molluscum in December, and am still dealing with it at the moment. I caught it from my girlfriend, who believes she got it from sharing clothes with a friend. I initially only had a few bumps, which were all treated with freezing. However, I was foolish with safe sex practices, and because my girlfriend was using Aldara, hers did not disappear as quickly as mine. Therefore, I got a second outbreak, and have been using Aldara on them since Janurary/February (as well as being much more sensible sex wise). I think I'm slowly getting to a point where they'll clear up, although I am considering just going to see a dermatologist to get the rest frozen again. My one concern has been the effect the cream has had, I have used it quite liberally, and have noticed several areas that have just turned red (and sometimes shiny). I think this is because the cream has easily been rubbed around and transferred surfaces due to movement. I'm just hoping/assuming these will disappear once I have finished using the cream.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. My approach to the infection may seem a little more careless than the poster above, however my biggest concern was whether I had a non-curable STD when I initially saw a problem, and thankfully I didn't. I regret not being more careful initially, but I'm in a trusting relationship so thankfully it hasn't been as big an issue.

Oh, and in terms of which to recommend for the first poster, I'd recommend the freezing. It should get rid of them all in one go, and you may not need to go back again. It burns a little as they do it, and they can sometimes be sore and itchy over the next couple of days. But it's much more convenient, and insurance should cover it, if you have it, rather than buying Aldara.

I've had a single bump on my lower stomach for a few months, and recently sought medical attention. I told the doctor I suspected it was molluscum or another poxvirus. To my surprise, she recommended cryo-freezing on the spot. She dipped a sterile cotton swab in liquid nitrogen and held it for a few seconds. To answer the question of, does it hurt? I would say, not really at all. Compared to many other medical/dental procedures, this is minor at best. For about 10 mins afterwards it feels sort of itchy with a slight sting. But by the time I left the building it was back to normal. I dont want to advocate any D-I-Y home surgery, but if you have access to liquid N2 or even dry ice, you could probably have success on your own.

I noticed my outbreak of MC back in August of 2005. I wasn't sure exactly how I acquired the virus, but my dermatologist suspected it was ST. Mine just looked like small pimples on my penis, probably anywhere from 2 to 10 bumps at one time. I used Aldara and it worked great. ONE THING to remember is that Aldara is very potent, so a little goes a long way. The only drawback with Aldara, like freezing, is that the papules blister and scab up, then fall off, leaving minimal to no scarring. And this process takes about 2 weeks or so.

I have recently noticed another outbreak, and I'm quite surprised it came back. This time, I may try a natural healing oil.

Cryo treatment can be VERY painful dependent on your pain tolerance and location of the lesion. Genital lesions are far more sensitive than the abdomen or extremities. I am told it feels like a very bad stinging sensation or a bee sting. Some people say it is "cake". After cryo the area will turn red as the skin heals (usually in 1-2 weeks). It also may itch. Treatment is recommended since it is a viral infection that can spread. You should avoid close contact, sharing of clothing/towels, swimming, hot tubs, etc until a few weeks past the last lesion disappears. The CDC posts more info if you desire....

My kids have been fighting with MC for TWO YEARS! We have had them frozen, cut off, and acid treatments. Now we are about to try the Aldara for my 11 1/2 yr old. I am VERY nervous after reading the patient info on this drug. Does anyone know of any children who have tried Aldara and had success?

these warts suck. I've had them on and off for about 6 months. I saw a doctor the first time, he said they weren't that big of a deal and froze like 15 of them off my lower stomach. They all went away, but they take a long time to heal. The internet will tell you alot of different things, especially the ones who are trying to sell you some 'natural' product. Don't believe them, just buy the Dr. Scholls freeze away kit. I had another outbreak, only a few, on my inner thigh and I used the aforementioned kit with good results. They probably won't recommend it but its the same stuff the doctors use(liquid nitrogen). It's the only thing i'd trust other than a doctor.

I have been dealing with Molluscum for around 2 months now, and I have tried several approaches. I have some on the shaft of my penis, and others on my thigh. Here's the scoop:

Aldara: It doesn't work very well, at least for me. I used it regularly for around a month, and only one of the MC came off. What will happen (if it works) is that the area will develop a lesion and blister. (DO NOT PICK IT OFF, YOU MUST LET IT FALL OFF AS IT HEALS) After speaking with my doctor, we decided that it was no longer worth waiting to see if it did anything, so we tried freezing.
Painful? No. As you look around, you might see some people saying that Aldara hurts, but it doesn't unless you severely overuse it. It will (ideally) cause some inflammation, which is what you WANT, as Aldara is supposed to stimulate an immune response, your body's natural defense against the MC (which is a form of pox, by the way).

Freezing: Highly recommended, just because if nothing else, you'll feel like you're doing something about the MC. They will usually use a Q-tip dipped in cryogenic solution, although if you go to a dermatologist, they may use a "gun" on your MC bumps.
Painful? Only the tiniest bit. Obviously, the ones on my penis hurt more than the ones on my thigh, but even they were very simple and easy to tolerate pain-wise. It doesn't feel like a bee sting. My tattoo hurt FAR more than the cryo treatment. It feels kind of like a tiny pinch, and it goes away very quickly. Trust me, you can handle the cryo treatment. Don't worry and psyche yourself out. After two weeks or so, most of the MC should have fallen off/blistered like a minor burn wound and started to heal up.

Hope this helps. Please don't be afraid of the pain of either Aldara cream or cryo treatment. Nothing to worry about, and I'm sure (like me) you want to get rid of these things quickly and safely. Good luck!

I've had genital MC for about 3 months now. At first I thought I just had some type of "skin bump" right where the back of my upper thigh meets my butt. But when more appeared, I went to the doctor and she confirmed MC.

She gave me a prescription for some type of cream...maybe the Aldara? I can't remember... In any case, when my pharmacist said my balance of the prescription payment would be $50 (apparently some aspects of my insurance policy changed), I was like "screw that..I'm not paying $50 for some "cream"!

So I decided to try a natural approach....Tea Tree Oil. Well after about a month, and it not improving, I went to the dermatologist.

That was about 5 days ago. He burned them off with liquid nitrogen (or whatever it's called). It really hurt (I'm not good with pain), but hey, I was able to endure it, and even "laugh" about the pain during a pause in the process....the doctor said "now can you move this way so I can get these others over here?" and I laughed nervously "ooohhh....ohhhh...." and he said "hey, at least you are able to laugh about it...after this you probably won't want to see me again!" So yeah, it hurt more than I anticipated, but I was able to endure it just fine, and not stop him from freezing the others!

What he didn't tell me nor did I expect was...after freezing, the MC swelled up a bit and blistered...it was also very itchy on days 2-3. I've been applying antibacterial ointment to the area. I've been unable to wear normal panties because the elastic digs into my ass/thigh crease where the sores are, so I've had to wear thongs.

People mentioned that MC can be spread through towels. Does this actually mean that even with my own bath towel, that if I dry over the MC, I have to then get a NEW towel to dry the rest of my body, or else it will spread? And I have to use a new towel each and every time I shower? Must I put paper over my own toilet seat every time I sit down so as to not further spread the MC on myself?

I would highly recommend the freezing treatment. I went to the public health clinic and they performed a freezing treatment for $20. The pain the freezing causes is very managable, and I had MC near the base of my penis, a sensitive area indeed. The active bumps disappeared and turned into flat red marks within a few days with no pain or irritation. The doc said that popping the MC yourself and removing the white "pearl" is considered a treatment, but this may spread the virus. I have popped a few myself with good results. Apply liquid skin after to prevent spreading.

I've been dealing with MCV for about 4 months now. It really is a pain in the A**. They are mostly right around the base of my penis and right around the area where the scrotum meets the inner thigh. I have had them frozen off 3 times now and was very hopeful after the last time as it seemed like they were all gone. To my dismay, a few new ones have showed up yet again. I just got a prescription for Aldara filled today and hopefully it will have some better results. The most annoying thing about the virus is remaining celibate and not being able to groom the area. After the first time I had them frozen off everything appeared to have cleared up. I waited a month and decided it would be ok to trim the old pubes... not a good idea. It came back even worse than the first time. As far as the cryo treatment goes, its not painful at all. A very slight amount of discomfort maybe but nothing serious. The thing that I hate about it is it is just such an inconvenience. Aside from the fact that there are visible mollescum I would never know that I had the virus. Persistence is key, just stay on top of it.

Been fighting this off for 6 months now and on going. At first the dermatologist frozen them and they went away. Then a few more popped up. bummer. Went back again, this time got them frozen and prescribed aldara. Don't get cheap on avoiding the cream. The cream will cost your insurance about $700 while you pay a $50 co-pay depending on your insurance.

I don't like using the aldara because it makes everything sensitive and red and itchy. The problem is if you don't use it at least 2 weeks on the infected area then it might not go away. Initially i was using freezing (otc) and aldara as a perventitive due to my discomfort with it, but after speaking with the doctor lately she mentioned i should sick with it. Every time i think its all gone another one pops up. Never in the same place though. She said it all depends on how large the infected area is. The virus lays dormant until it researches the top of the skin. She said keep persistent. Use the aldara more but not when it gets painful. Avoid friction, shaving, and if you sweat use baby powder. Band-aid have helped to if you can get them to stick. however can be painful trying to remove them from hairy spots.

I pray I will be complete gone with this soon. It's hard pushing away individuals who I would like to date. Dates are one thing but how long can you really delay a relationship when it reaches the next level. Don't think they will react keen to the situation.

*Sigh*

I have been reading all of the stories and peoples situations with molescum and am suprised by the treatments. I was initially diagnosed with molescum and the doctor told me it was not a big deal and it would go away on its own. Well, I got impatient after about a month and removed them myself. They were located right above the shaft of my penis, right around the pubic area. About 20 of them and I got rid of them all very quickly. Unfortunately during that time I passed it on to my girlfriend... and she got it on her inner thighs. When she went to planned parenthood they actually cut them out on the spot and put some kind of ointment on them. Unfortunately, observing it a week later, a few went away but many of them still stayed. I looked over her myself and saw that they just didnt do a very good job of get the kernel out (the little white thing that containsthe virus... looks like a dot), on some of the ones that were still there. Some yes, most no. She told me they used some sort of metal thing... which in my opinion doesnt work because you cant cut them out. You have to completely remove the little white kernel inside. I treated hers as well and got rid of them right away. It took about 2 weeks to completely heal from the tiny scar but the molescum was wiped out right away.

Here is what I did for both her and I. First, have a bottle of peroxide ready and saturate a full cottonball with it. What you have to do is similar to popping a zit but there is a main difference. I know this will sound funny but I promise it should work (please make sure its mollescum)... anyways, with your nails, pinch from the base of the molescum and instead of trying to pop the mollescume out...pinch close to the base all the way and lift the molescum out while still pinched shut. I know it sounds painful but I promise it not. The skin that holds the little kernel (which contains the virus) is not healthy skin, almost like its dead and soft, and is very easy to pinch... and lift out. It really doesnt hurt at all. (If it does hurt it may be healthy skin or not mollescum) Its not like a wart that is hard and cant be pulled out. You should notice 2 things. First if you got the kernel out it will be on your fingernail. Secondly, it will almost leave a little hole in your skin and you will bleed a little. Thats why it is important to have the peroxide around. Immediately apply to the area and to your finger nail to clean off the kernel. Really it worked very easily for me. It left little scars... but they heal pretty quickly, 2 weeks or so. The main thing is that you get the white kernel completely out and immediately apply the peroxide to kill off the remainder of the virus. If there is a piece of the kernel remaining, then you will not have removed the virus. I would NOT suggest trying to cut it out with anything. Really your fingernails should work best. Hope this helps. No need to burn your skin with Aldara...

Remember, dont pick at it (this makes it worse), dont cut it out with something you will only hurt yourself and probably wont get the whole kernel out... pinch close to the base with 2 fingernails (as if you are cutting it off with your nails) and lift the entire thing out while still pinched. It will bleed a little and leave a little hole that will heal over... but the virus should not come back. Thats it! Good luck