I have a friend who I met online years ago. We're pretty close now. She's babysat the kids for me a few times. Great gal. Great family.

Well, she posts on our july board that her daughter and son were hurt while 4-wheeling. Her daughter is 11. Her son is *3*. She not only let her 11yo who IMO is not ready to be driving a 4-wheeler drive the 4-wheeler, but she put her 3yo in the daughter's lap. The accident occured because her toddler grabbed the wheel and they flipped over.

Her daughter broke her ankle, and fractured a leg bone, is going to need surgery because of it. Her son is having issues when he turns his body a certain way, so there could be some sort of internal issues.

I feel bad for them. Of course I do. But I just wonder what were they thinking? I just don't understand. Further, if they are making these sorts of judgment calls with their own children, I have to wonder if I will ever let them watch my kids again. I like Sheila. A lot. But now I worry about her thought processes...

Scary stuff. Keep a good thought for this family, if you would. Thanks.

*she* put or was coerced by the father to put the child there. John used to do that all the time...and make me look like an a$$clown when I raised issues with Ian's safety, like was an overbearing mother.

I'd rather be an overbearing mother than bury my child. Simple as that, yo.

My God! Those kids are lucky to be alive!

Just looking at the police report in the local paper the other day and commented to my wife that 3 out of the first 5 items where ATV accidents. Those machines have grown in size and weight in recent years and because of their design, don't steer/lean as your intuition would tell you. Their definitely not toys. Enough parents don't realize this and their kids are paying the price. It does come down to parenting..what was she thinkin'?

we just bought a 4 wheeler and we were on our land and hubby said "Andrew, drive the 4 wheeler over here" Thank goodness he's smarter than his dad....He said "no".....but of course the 7 y/o pipes up. Can I?????? ...oh dear!

Having owned and ridden 4 wheelers for years I can safely say that an 11 yr old is old enough to learn how to ride one - a youth sized one preferably. Learning on a bigger one is okay if gear selection is kept to 1st or 2nd gear. An 11 yr old riding with a 3 yr old passenger is such an obvious accident waiting to happen the parents should have their asses kicked for being so stupid. No kid at any age should be allowed to have a passenger when riding - atv's aren't designed for it. An experienced adult riding with common sense can handle it but even then it can get dicey when riding trails. I limited my youngest son to 3rd gear on our Honda 450 until this past summer and it drove him nuts - but the other option of not riding at all was worse.

THAT is scary.

those kids are lucky to be alive.

she was momentarily whacked when she let that happen. :umno:

There was a 17 month old girl killed in this area a few weeks back who was run over by her 8 year old brother while he was driving the lawn mower.

Why people let kids operate such powerful equipment sans supervision is beyond me.