I want to know what symptoms of the lung cancer are. I am heavy smoker for 22 years. In last couple of months I experienced discomfort under the ribs where I think the lungs are. I have cough for years and I know that is because of the cigarette, but this feeling under the ribs worries me a lot.

Well one of the general symptoms is cough which is constant and become hard over the time; an ache or pain when breathing and coughing, loss of appetite too and loss of weight. Pain or discomfort under the ribs is less common but symptom of the cancer too. I advise you to exam self very soon. You are probably going to need X-ray of the chest, make blood test and other tests. Take care!

i know this post is about 2 years old, but i wanted to share what i am going through, maybe it can save a life. I am 27. I dont smoke. I am active. So this can happen to anyone. If you feel something is wrong, then something is wrong. My diagnosis saved my life, at only age 27!!. For a year or so, i had felt an ache around my heart area that i put off and put off. It was stress, or it was a cold, or it was nothing. This ache would come and go, and also it ached directly on my back in the same spot as the front. I figured i hit my back on something. i was wrong. In the beginning of Oct of 08, i was lying on the couch and suddenly but briefly coughed up specks of blood. I was just relaxing when it started. I had no previous cough, and this bought of coughing just seemed to stop as sudden as it started in about 5 minutes. I made an appointment to see the Dr, as frightened as i was. An X-ray proved my worst night mare. I had a tumor in my left lung about 4 cm across. This little beast has become Hell for me. I was then ordered to have a CT Scan so they could see it better- at that point it was thought to be a fungus in there, for i was too young and healthy to have lung cancer my Dr.s were saying. This led to a gnarly biopsy, which concluded a Carcinoid tumor. Not a bad malignant one, but now i have to have it removed so it doesnt decide to turn bad. I am seeeing the surgeon today, and he will now tell me if the left lung can be saved or if ihave to live the rest of my lucky life with only one lung. I am terrified. BUT_ if this had not been caught, who knows what would have happened later down the line. MORAL OF THE STORY--- when something doesnt feel right, please get it checked.

Mangolola,

I just read your message & really hope that everything turns out positive for you. My father was sick over christmas with pneumonia & had lost 2 stone so we made him go to the doctor. He was sent for an x-ray and thereafter for a CT Scan. On Thursday he was informed that he has a tumour on his lung (I'm not sure which). He has to go and have alot more tests so they can determine his treatment. It's so upsetting for my family & we too are hoping that it was caught early.

Thanks for your post, it's comforting to read of people in similar situations as my father & to know you CAN overcome the horrible demon that the tumour is.