I had my right lung removed 2 years ago due to lung cancer, tumor. I had radiation treatment then lung removal then chemo. i have 6 month checkups and so far so good. Peter MacCallum Cancer Hospital in Melbourne were terrific Adelaide Hospital sent me home to die and advised i had two years to live and there was nothing they could do! thank goodness i got a second opinion. Since all my treatment i have had a constant cough, seem to pick up infections easily like Bronchitis, and suffer from shortness of breath a lot, i get nausea and my heart rate goes up with just a little exertion. i am 50 yrs old, is anyone else suffering like myself or have any suggestions on how to improve my lifestyle. I have tried asthma sprays, had lung function tests which are OK but they dont think i have asthma as sprays made no difference. I have had many courses of anitbiotics.

Hope you’re doing well, besides these problems. I think you know yourself that after removing of one lung your body can’t really continue to function like it did before all the problems. Did you have one side of the lungs removed, or was it parts of both sides? With any lung surgery, not to mention one this big, the remaining tissue has to work harder to try to do the same work as the complete lungs. Shortness of breath, which causes the lack of oxygen in your blood, is the cause for fast heart rate and nausea, the only solution to this is, really, to avoid all unnecessary efforts because your body just can’t manage them now. With all the radiation, chemo, and the half the function of normal lungs, it is expected that your body is more susceptible to infections, and unfortunately, respiratory infections are the most common ones. You will just have to try your best to avoid them, in any way you can.