I would like to hear answer to one question that especially interested me. I would like to know is it necessary to have bilateral lung infiltrates to get ARDS. I wonder if that is sometimes enough to have just one sick lung to best define ARDS. I am not diagnosed with lung infiltrates, but I want to hear more about this. Can you give me any answer; I would appreciate anything you could tell me.

Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is seen among intensive care unit patients. That happens where the ability to identify patients with these potentially lethal syndromes is critically important. The first step in identifying patients is to have a consistent and useful definition of lung infiltrates. It has been reported that lung cancer is frequently associated with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, which is also something you should know. The purpose of this study was to compare the intensity of lung infiltrates between the side associated with lung cancer and the side without it. Twenty-three patients with primary lung cancer associated with pulmonary fibrosis were retrospectively evaluated. Chest CT findings were evaluated by three expert radiologists using the intensity scores to help them evaluate. In 16 of the 23 patients, it was possible to compare the intensity of lung infiltrates between both sides of their lungs. As a result, increased intensity at the side in which lung cancer developed was demonstrated in 12 of 16 patients. In the remaining four patients, intensity of lung infiltrates was the same in both lungs in these patients.