I have been obese as long as I can remember. I have tried all kinds of things to lose weight but nothing really helped me. Recently I saw on TV something about gastric bypass surgery and started to ask myself if this colud help me lose weight. I would like if someone coul explain this procedure. How can I know if I qualify for this kind of surgery?

Gastric bypass surgery is the procedure that makes the stomach smaller. It allows food to bypass part of the small intestine and by doing so it results in fewer calories being absorbed which leads to weight loss. Roux-en-Y bypass surgery is the most common one. This procedure can be done by making large or small incision in the abdomen. Large incision is done in open procedure and small in laparoscopic approach (using small instruments and camera to guide the surgery). Gastric bypass surgery is rarely used to treat weight problems. It is usually considered when all other methods for losing weight did not give results. Gastric bypass surgery is considered when the body mass index is over 40 and if there is a life-threatening condition related to weight. Gastric bypass surgery involves 4 to 6 days of hospitalization and most of the patients return to their normal life and activities within 3 to 5 weeks. You need to talk to your doctors if you are thinking about this procedure. Also, you have to realize that every surgery has it's risk.