Just wondering. The hospital that I work at, their insurance covers gastric bypass surgery 100%. They are thinking of changing this due to the expense. I was just wondering, do other insurance companies cover this?
And while I am thinking about this...you would think this hospital would also cover a WW subscription, or some other healthy alternative to surgery...

not sure about that, but what i do know is that my insurance covers my RX meds only part of the time :? and theyre getting pricy....

Mine does, but a few of the hospitals in the area are no longer doing them. Apparently they aren't making enough money on it.

Not sure which part of non-profit they don't understand.

I'm of the opinion that the procedure is as invasive, radical, dangerous, and unnecessary as liposuction. Losing weight is a psycho-physiological issue. Quick fixes don't help in the long run, and they may even be dangerous.

Our insurance used to but they dropped it.

I do not know if my insurance covers it.

Gastric bypass has never entered my thoughts as an actual alternative to losing weight the old fashioned way - proper diet and exercise. It's not easy and it takes a very long time, but it works.

I believe gastric bypass is a very invasive, very dangerous method to losing weight. So many side effects of the surgery. It's a quick fix and there will be serious long term effects from malnutrition.

A girlfriend of mine is having this surgery done next month. She is so excited about it. She has a bum leg and is unable to exercise at all (the pain is too incredible) and she has gained A LOT of weight over the years. I'm usually the first to tell someone how horrible it is to do something that drastic, but in cases like hers (where she does eat right, but her sedentary lifestyle due to her leg has hampered her ability to maintain a healthy weight), I'm torn.

According to the American Society For Metabolic Bariatric Surgery, gastric reduction surgery is not an easy option for obesity sufferers. It is a drastic step, and carries the usual pain and risks of any major gastrointestinal surgical operation. Some patients who undergo adjustable gastric band surgery lose more than 60% of excess body weight.