Hi. My Mom is thinking about gastric bypass surgery. What is that? She was diagnosed with vasovagal syncope. Does she have to go to a surgery because of that? She faints very often, and she says she has a vasovagal nerve? What is that?

Hi. If your Mom wants to have a gastric bypass surgery that means she wants to make her stomach smaller. Gastric bypass surgery also leads to weight loss. I also suffer from vasovagal syncope (neurally mediated syncope). This condition results in fainting. A vasovagal attack happens when blood pressure drops. I don`t know what is a vasovagal nerve. I am sure your Mom meant to say she faints because of some nerve.

it is the vagus nerve that regulates your heartbeat.. therefore when she does faint it is because the nerve lowered her blood pressure. It's very common in women. I also have vasovagal syncope. It is nothing serious.

Some cases are not serious, but others can be very serious. She needs to take advantage of any recommended modalities from her physician. This is a very frustrating and debilitating disorder.