Hello! My brother is about to have a gall bladder surgery and I would like to know how this operation looks like, will he be in any pain, and how long he will have to stay in hospital.

Hello there! Everything depends on whether your brother is going for the open surgery (cholecystectomy) or for the contemporary one called laparoscomy. In both cases he won’t feel any pain cos he will be under anesthesia.
In the open surgery an incision is made under the ribs. The liver is removed to expose the gallbladder. The vessels and ducts are cut and tied off and the bladder is removed.

In the laparoscopic surgery, the abdomen is inflated with carbon dioxide to make more room for the procedure. Larascope is inserted into the abdomen through a small incision. Then another three incisions are made for the instruments, gallbladder found, cystic duct and artery cut and tied off and the bladder removed. The 2nd procedure has a lower rate of complications,patients are out in 24-48 dhours and there are no scars.

I just had my gall bladder removed mon the 20th i was released from the hospital last night (the 22nd) how long will this pain last, and if the tube is not draining properly should i go back to the hospital?

Health Advisor
Did you have an open surgery or laparoscopic? I had laparoscopic and from what I heard it is less painful that the open surgery. I suppose you had laparoscopic considering you were dismissed from a hospital two days after.

However, I myself have been in pain after the surgery and was taking painkillers (vicodins) for a week but after that I was just exhausted and needed rest. I can’t really recall how long it lasted. Have you been prescribed any painkillers?

As far as I know, the tubes that are put for draining are removed once the draining stops. It takes about two days. This goes for thinner plastic tubes. If you have a thick tube, this means the tube was placed for getting rid of any misplaced stones. These tubes are taken in about 10 days time.

i had my gall bladder removed on october 13th of 06 and i couldne get up without help for about 7 days and i couldnt wear my regular clothes for 1 month, my stomach was very bloated and my lower incision was leaking...... i had to go back to the doc due to my allergic reaction to the sutures, other side effects are going to the restroom alot more and after eating i hve to be close to a restroom, i have also noticed an incrase in my hunger, not so much my appetite but i have to eat something more frequent than before. has anyone had this problem? did you notice weight gain with gall bladder remove.

I have had bloating around the open gall bladder surgery and weight gain. My incision from the operation is still not completely healed and this is a year and 5 months ago. Still get burning and pulling when I walk or try any exercise that has to do with the adominal area.