Family member had this procedure but is unable to tell anyone exactly
what the procedure was. Does this lead to false sense of being well?

I'm not sure what you mean by liver bypass, as there is no such thing as a liver bypass except in experminental research where the liver is actually bypassed to avoid the rapid clearance of drugs or virus by the hepatic drainage system.

Do you possibly mean portal vein bypass surgery which diverts blood from the portal vein into another vein? This is indeed very serious.

Do you mean a gastric bypass procedure used to treat morbid obesity? This is not a serious as portal vein bypass surgery, but it is surgery with its associated risks.

I also never heard of liver bypass surgery. Are you sure that your friend had this procedure? Maybe he had a gastric bypass surgery. Gastric bypass surgery is a procedure that rearranges your intestines. Gastric bypass is usually done for people how are morbidly obese. But sometimes this procedure is done to treat hypertension, diabetes and sleep apnea. If you could give us more details about the procedure we might tell you more what your friend actually had. It is hard to help him if we don’t have more details about his condition. What was he suffering from in the first place? Why did he had the surgery? I hope your friend is well.
All the best,
Danella

Could it have been a liver biopsy?

My daughter was just told last week that she had to have liver bypass surgery and that it is very high risk.

No friend is scheduled for liver bypass, liver shunt

patient has cystic fibrosis and bands on esophagus at not working and has severe bleeding. Drs. are planning a liver bypass.

whats portal vein bypass

I meant a Tips procedure to eliminate weekly paracentecis draining........
A TIPS procedure involves creating a pathway through the liver that connects the portal vein (the vein that carries blood from the digestive organs to the liver) to a hepatic vein (one of three veins that carry blood from the liver to the heart).