Hi, my son is 21 years old, and he suffers from obesity. He is so much overweight, that one doctor recommended him GBS- gastric bypass surgery. I heard that this is a very risky operation, and I’m very worried. What are gastric bypass post-op complications?

Hi, I had a gastric bypass surgery a year ago. I suffered from morbid obesity, and I had no other option but GBS. I knew that it was a risky operation but I had more chance to die from my fat. Short term complications usually appear in first 3 to 14 days. Short term complications are bleeding, infection, pulmonary embolus nausea and vomiting and death. Long term post-op complications are usually vitamin and mineral deficiencies, peripheral neuropathy, osteoporosis, anemia and some other conditions. Fortunately, I didn’t have any of those post-op complications, and I recovered quickly. I already lost 60 kg, and I hope I will lose the rest soon.

I was looking into this surgery... how big do you have to be to qualify for the precedure?