I had a cousin who had gastroenteritis few years ago. He gets well no, but still I think how I would not like to get gastroenteritis one day. Anyway, my sister noticed nausea and diarrhea, and yesterday she vomits. I am so afraid if she will get this, so I want to know more about symptoms for gastroenteritis. Can you tell me if that is serious condition and how could it be treated?

Symptoms for gastroenteritis can vary greatly from person to person, so there are not some specific symptoms that have to occur. Anyway, most people experience two or more of the following: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal discomfort. Sometimes symptoms are reported as headache, and muscle aches. One type of gastroenteritis is viral gastroenteritis, which may last several hours to several days. Average episode lasting 24-48 hours, and patients do not report this condition in hospital, since it pass in short period. In contrast, bacterial or parasitic infections causing gastroenteritis can last well over a week and may require medication for treatment. In these cases, laboratory tests are necessary before appropriate antibiotics can be prescribed, similar to each bacterial infection. In a normal healthy person, a case of gastroenteritis is no more significant than a common cold, so you should not be so much worried. However, prolonged bouts of vomiting and diarrhea can lead to dehydration and disruption of important body chemistry, so if her condition last longer, seek for medical help. For now, tell her to stay at home and rest until symptoms subside, and avoid solid foods.